Hey There From Northern Illinois!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I'm an old fart. A couple more years and I'll be getting those discounts at the local buffet. Second, I'm out of shape and need to get back into shape (or at least a shape somewhat more svelte than at present), and that is part of the reason I am here.
My life on two wheels.

Back when I lived in the city of Chicago (about a decade ago), I used to ride my bike every day. I'd ride from the north end of Chicago's Lakefront Bike Path all the way down to the Loop and back, at least five times a week. On weekends, we'd either ride up north to Fort Sheridan, or south to the Museum of Science and Industry. Then we moved to the Northwest 'Burbs.

If the speed limit is 45, people drive 60, if it's 30, they're doin' 50, it's just the way things are. With many narrow shoulders, it has provided a less than bike-friendly atmosphere. So, my riding slowed and finally stopped. Now, somehow, I want to get back riding.

I used to be a journeyman auto tech, and prior to that, while in high school, I worked at the local Schwinn dealer, back in the heyday of the StingRay and baloon-tired bicycles. My first project was a 3spd StingRay that I altered the frame to accept my home-built extended fork on. The front end was about 8" over stock and the bike sat level. Next, I plied my modification trade to my first minibike, replacing the 3 horse Briggs for one with 5 horsepower, and again slicing the frame to allow for an extended front end and a level bike. I also built my first sissy bar (we have a different name for them, but in deference to the ladies, I won't use it here). I owned the alleys of Rogers Park!

As I prepared to head off to my first duty station, I bought a Harley Sportster, a brand new XLCH. This bike provided me with my first taste of long distance two-wheeled fun. On the way, I got caught in pounding rain storms, froze my hind end off in the mountains, and had the time of my life! I've owned three other Harley's since, plus a number of Japanese bikes. The other Harley's were, a '47 police three-wheeler, an all chrome '49 Panhead chop, and a radically altered 1973 XLCH Sportster. The last lived in two guises, first as a chop with a 45 degree rake and 15" over narrow springer, and the second as a baby bagger, built out of parts ranging from 1925 up through 1978.

Other than my early Shwinn's, StingRays, Typhoons, an American and such, I've owned an old Italia road bike, a Centurion LeMans, and more recently, a few bikes that I either bought and then totally modified, like my '97 Specialized Rockhopper, or bikes that I built up from a frame. Thanks to a friend at whose Raleigh store I helped out, I came to own an M60 frame which I built out with all LX group components. I kept that bike in my server room at one job, for mid-day rides. My brother-in-law has this bike today. I also got an R300 touring frame. This got built using a mix of XT and Ultegra goodies. This bike found a new owner a while back, my interest in dropped bar bikes having waned. I also got a Univega mountain-style tandem that had become a "hanger queen" to the point that I ended up with a frame, cranksets and the seatpost/stem. This bike was built using a mix of XT and LX, with custom-laced wheels. This is one of the bikes I want to turn into a Rat Rod.

More recently, I've come across a 20" chrome Giant mountain bike of unknown year or model. I want to build something fun out of it. I also have picked up a 1980 Schwinn Cruiser, and it will remain pretty much stock. It's in very nice condition and should be fun to take to our town's local Cruise Night. I'm also going to look at a newer (1990s) Schwinn Cruiser 6. If I pick it up, it will be my primary ride-around bike, and Rat Rod fodder. I'm not quite sure what will go into it yet other than ape hangers.

Modified balloon tire bikes are my way of getting my tail off the couch and into the saddle. It's got to be about fun!

Oops, I should note, the Giant is 24", not 20".

Back