Hi from Australia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just found your site. I have been collecting old bicycles for about 30 years and have about 150, some over 100 years old. Most of our Australian bikes were built locally with British components up till the 70's when the Japanese took over. I picked up an old Cleveland Welding Company Roadmaster at a swap meet 3 years ago, that was brought here from Atlanta Georgia. I think it is about 1938?
cleveland.jpg

roadmaster.jpg

Welcome!
I had the pleasure of visiting Fremantle while in the Navy and picked up a BSA folder and rode it all over Perth. Sure like to see some pics of your collection.

Thanks for the warm welcome, here is a few of my bikes.
This one is a Healing which were very popular here, and like most bikes sold here pre 70's is locally made with mostly British components. This bike was built around the 40's or 50's and is a bit unusual having alloy hubs and fancy lugs. Rear hub is fixed one side and free wheel the other. I ride this one at least a couple of times a week.
016.jpg

018.jpg

This bike is a Super Elliot of similar vintage to the Healing and has had 3 speed derailleur gears but is missing the derailleur. I have a period one on another bike that I will fit at some stage. Super Elliot bikes were made for many years in South Australia and are both common and popular amongst vintage bicycle owners. I picked this bike up last week with a similar age, but not as nice mens bike for $150. Both use 28" tyres as do most adult bikes sold here pre 60's

013.jpg

015.jpg

This bike is much older than the previous two and is from around the late 1800's era or very early 1900's. It has inch pitch chain and pinch bolt bottom bracket. Also has period leather saddle and very high quality kerosene lamp.
021.jpg

Hi 51Hillman.... WOW being a fellow Aussie i must compliment you on some of your collection. I have been searching for all Vintage/Antiwue bicycles for a while now but havent seen the "American" style bikes you have. Where do you search for these. Ive seen some come up on EBay but because they are very rare here they go for far more then im willing to pay. :cry:

Welcome!

Hi Harry 76, the American bike I picked up at the Bendigo swap meet. A bloke who isnt really into them bought in while in Atlanta picking up an early Mustang. He brought the bike over in the car, so freight was more or less free. I payed $500 for it which is, I reckon about what it would cost just to freight one over. I also picked up a very early French ladies bike from Bendigo swap. It is beautifully shaped and doesnt have cotter pins. A few other features are different to our Aussie/ English bikes. Will be putting it up for sale soon though as I am reducing my collection.

Back