Hi from Las Vegas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi, I've lurked on this site a couple of times here and there, and recently picked up a bike, had hub problems when I reassembled it, found the instructions here to see what I did wrong, so I registered.

I've been modding and riding bikes since I was about 4, learned to ride on an army green sears 20 girls bike. Had a few hand me downs, and had me a decent bike by about age 7. Extra forks stuffed into spare forks to make choppers, etc. Got my first team murray a few years before we moved into a small mountain town, where the team Murray, in its ultimate high quality fashion, died a fairly painful death. Wheels were bent, I think the rims finally rusted thru the spike holes.

I got my dream bike (at the time) for christmas that year. A schwinn predator, with mags. Way lighter than the mag scramblers around town, this chrome moly bike was the envy of all, till my best friend got his chromed out mongoose ( way back before they were walmart specials ) We tore up the town. 9 guys in town my age, there was always stuff todo if your bike worked.

From jumping off picnic tables, riding the canal, the gravel pits, even the jumps we made to catch a fair amount of air before landimg in the lake.

At an rate, I digress. After that bike, came the motorcycle, then the car, to years dowm the road to the point my kids were riding bikes amd I got me a Specialized Hard Rock, to try to keep up with them.

After moving to vegas, the kids were getting older and riding fell to the side again, this time for my old mopars. Been tearin it up as of late in my 65 Dart GT convertible, factory 4 spd, 4 bbl car. It was in my dads barn for 15 years or so before I picked it up in 2001.

Recently, I picked up an old Western Flyer HiLo, that my dad gave me, and it will be my new ride for when I am at that big show, where there are miles to walk, or at the local weekly show. Gives me a seat I can take with me rather than trying to find chair here or there.

Modded up old bikes vs new are appealing to me, so I plan pop in from time to time. Who knows, maybe pull out the old mig, and enter a build competition as soon as I collect a few frames to work with ;-)

-Tom

How do you spell that giggle sound that DickDasterdly's dog Muttly makes? Cool update.

Carl.

Over a year after the intro post and buildoff entries later. Here is a pic of the Predator. As it sits today.

Original grips, lasted till the dog ate them, at about 1 month old. I think the set on it area the 4th pair I've wore out since.

Handlebars broke on first major wreck.

On its sixth set of tires.

Pads wore out and sun bleached after about 3 years.

Stickers, most of them came off in a number of awesome wrecks. Stitches, hole in the chin, gravel surfing sideways, you name it, I Polly wrecked that way once or twice...

Will add a pic of another one soon.

Building... riding...

Think a bike ridin lesson may be in order....or training wheels...haha. looks like that bike has really held up over all the awesome abuse......

How do you spell that giggle sound that DickDasterdly's dog Muttly makes? Cool update.

Carl.
Was think just thinking rhat as I typed that... sheepish snicker....

This Hi Lo is an awesome survivor. Mid sixties and all there except the tires and one spoke that I added, even Carlisle tubes. Has a Komet on the rear.

This bike is a break-a-part trunk bike.

IT WOULD BE SOOOOOOOOO EASY to tear it apart and make a muscle bile out of it... if it weren't complete I would be more tempted... maybe I will find one of these frames to rat out. ..

Building... riding...

Think a bike ridin lesson may be in order....or training wheels...haha. looks like that bike has really held up over all the awesome abuse......
The frame and mags are still under warranty, at least that's what the owners manual says [emoji48] ...

Ha! It wasn't for lack of riding lessons, it was because of all the reckless stuff we did.

The sideways gravel surfing incident, for example, was at the end of the devils gate race, where our we would race down about 5 miles of mountain dirt road and trails, any shortcut goes. First to the bottom wins....

Almost to the end, I had a good lead on the rest of the group, and rounded the last corner, probably doing about 30-35mph, and caught the softer gravel on the side and went down. I actually rode on top of the bike till it stopped. No road rash that day, other than the piece that got in my gloves. I took second that year... but had fun doing it.

Building... riding...

Was think just thinking rhat as I typed that... sheepish snicker....

This Hi Lo is an awesome survivor. Mid sixties and all there except the tires and one spoke that I added, even Carlisle tubes. Has a Komet on the rear.

This bike is a break-a-part trunk bike.

IT WOULD BE SOOOOOOOOO EASY to tear it apart and make a muscle bile out of it... if it weren't complete I would be more tempted... maybe I will find one of these frames to rat out. ..

Building... riding...
One of those guys in the current WBO is doing a folder with a fabbed front end... I'd love to find some kind of break in two bike and build a couple different ways to set it up... maybe call it the Thunderbolt Greaslapper...

Carl.

The frame and mags are still under warranty, at least that's what the owners manual says [emoji48] ...

Ha! It wasn't for lack of riding lessons, it was because of all the reckless stuff we did.

The sideways gravel surfing incident, for example, was at the end of the devils gate race, where our we would race down about 5 miles of mountain dirt road and trails, any shortcut goes. First to the bottom wins....

Almost to the end, I had a good lead on the rest of the group, and rounded the last corner, probably doing about 30-35mph, and caught the softer gravel on the side and went down. I actually rode on top of the bike till it stopped. No road rash that day, other than the piece that got in my gloves. I took second that year... but had fun doing it.

Building... riding...
We (men/boys) ride our bikes over every rock, log, obstacal, swamps, and rarely care of the consequences....ride on my friend

One of those guys in the current WBO is doing a folder with a fabbed front end... I'd love to find some kind of break in two bike and build a couple different ways to set it up... maybe call it the Thunderbolt Greaslapper...

Carl.
Pulled the uniroyal chain off the shelf, and found that it was a Western Flyer tube on the bike....
Its a flat slick and a little wider than the duro bricks I put on for ridin'.

Drop that extra yellow seat. Its a loooong rider.

Huge front sprocket, like 54 teeth

Pull the rack, and there's lots of room for a 20, easy... [emoji48]

Almost qualifies as an MBBO build...

Hehe

Building... riding...

Yeah I wonder if you can fab a rectangle receiver to accept the rear clip? you could then build a completely new front end... Some kinda triple tree swing bike chopper doo... man I gotta find me one of them style bikes...

Carl.

Yeah I wonder if you can fab a rectangle receiver to accept the rear clip? you could then build a completely new front end... Some kinda triple tree swing bike chopper doo... man I gotta find me one of them style bikes...

Carl.
Can easily box in some 10ga and match fit it.

Ive also thought of duplicating both sides of the three pin mount on a rack I can mount to the floor of the convertible...

Building... riding...

Up next is the Valiant from last years MBBO.

7 layer CUSTOM airbrush, Hurst t-handle and 7 speeds. Valiant hubcap integrated into shifter and chain guard, mopar sport mirror, Kendra k-rad. Alligator pattern custom on seat, sprung sissy back, and guard. Studs amd rivets for function and look

Was fun to build, still fun to ride. Wide turns only with the deep cage. Got that snaked feel as you turn corners. Really weirded out one of my friends when he tried to ride this shiny ride.

Building... riding...

I have the same style break apart bike, mine is badged firestone vagabond. All original including the 16" firestone tires, which are cracked really deep. A little tire slime and I rode it all over Kelleys island. It was not comfortable at all.

I have the same style break apart bike, mine is badged firestone vagabond. All original including the 16" firestone tires, which are cracked really deep. A little tire slime and I rode it all over Kelleys island. It was not comfortable at all.
Cool Falstaff. Heavy little bikes, eh? ;-)

That sprung seat on mine is a comfy ride. I took it on a 17 mile round trip to Ace Hardware a couple of times. Basket is good for errands for small stuff. I did put some 16" minibricks on it for around town. Just slipped the uniroyal I took off it on for a bit. Not a long distance tire. With the cracks. Will switch it out before I hang it back up.

Building... riding...

Back