Hi from Newport Beach

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey...

I'm glad I found this forum! I'm a long-time BMX-style rider who just moved to California and has had a complete change of tastes in bicycles. I never even thought of riding a beach cruiser most of my life because I thought I would kill myself on it. After racing for so many years when I was younger, it's a habit to ride that way, and I always thought cruisers were way to heavy and cumbersome.

However, since moving out here, the much more laid back vibe, and literally everybody riding around on cruisers, and some pretty cool one's, the idea has grown on me. I also have come to realize that the leaned-forward style of riding I've always done may be the reason my neck is so tweaked. Having my head bent back all the time while pivoting left and right constantly is beginning to take a toll.

So, I'm itching for a comfortable ride... My friend next door has a Kustom Kruiser Duece that is awesome, and in mint condition... heavy, but really cool. I've found out that Electra makes the Coasters, which are similar and much lighter, and that's what I'm leaning toward. I like the "pedal-forward" design, which is much better than most cruisers that seem to have me too far over the cranks.

I love the Ghost Rider bike, but that's a little too rich for me right now.

But then, I kinda like the idea of building from frame up. I just haven't seen any of those Electra frames available anywhere, and I don't know which frames are comparable... or if a stretch would work out.

For now, I'm "converting" my Redline Proline 24" to a laid back cruiser with apes and a layback post to see if that makes it any more comfortable to ride upright. Eventually, I'll convert it back to an occasionally ridden race bike and put the apes on whatever cruiser I get.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot here from all of you... Thank you!

Jack in Newport (originally from Vegas...)

Back