Hi, new guy here with a Schwinn-shaped story....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm Chris. I'm a writer based in the UK, and while I know nothing about bikes like this I do like them! I've recently acquired this and after some digging around it would seem that you guys would be the best people to speak to. So, here's the story behind my Schwinn Krate....

So, went out on the beers last night in Bourton on the Water, very nice.

Anyway, went to retrieve the car this morning, jumped in a went to turn around at the bottom of the lane. I grumbled to myself about the poor placement of the skip, but then I didn't mind so much because I layed my eyes on this....

IMG_5849.jpg

IMG_5850-Copy.jpg

IMG_5852.jpg

IMG_5853.jpg

IMG_5854.jpg

IMG_5856.jpg

....pretty eh?

I did the moral thing and asked around to see if it was cool to take it. In the end a little old lady explained it origins and said she was thrilled that I wanted it. So, in the car it went!

It's really interesting, it has gears, a weird cantilever front suspension set up and rear suspension via shocks in the rear seat posts.

It's complete and apart form the seat, it's never been buggered about with. It truly is a thing of beauty.

Apparently it was hiding at the back of an antique shop for years, only to end up in the skip when it came time for the shop to be renovated. I'm sure someone else would have rescued it too, but I'm glad it was me.

It needs to be fully restored, new brakes and tyres etc. As I don't have the facilities I'm going to take it to my Dads and he'll do it.

So, there you go, a free Schwinn. I'll keep you posted once I get it to my Dad's.

Now as I'm sure you can tell, I don't know anything about these bikes. That said, I do appreciate what it is and as such, I want to give it the correct treatment. Another factor is the value as I've been led to believe it's worth a few quid, a fact which further cements the fact that I need to look after it.

If you guys have any info about the bike, advice on its restoration/future then please do let me know.

Thanks guys.

Chris

Re: Hi, new guy here with a Schinn-shaped story....

you, my friend, are very lucky. thats an old Schwinn Pea Picker Krate. that specific springer fork(front suspension) is very saught after, along with the front wheel. pretty much everything on that bike is saught after. if you could do a full restoration on it, that bike would be worth some serious money. now there should be some numbers on the rear left dropout, that date the bike. this link shows you where to look. it would be the 1952-1970 area.
http://www.bunchobikes.com/serialnumber.htm

looking at the parts id say a 68-70 but the serial will narrow the year down. looks like the stik shift is the only thing missing besides the original seat. way cool bike, the ones worth the most $$$$ are originals in really nice condition. id still restore it as best as i could without spending a whole lot on it. have fun with it :)

pfchris said:
It's really interesting, it has gears, a weird cantilever front suspension set up and rear suspension via shocks in the rear seat posts.

It's complete and apart form the seat, it's never been buggered about with. It truly is a thing of beauty.

Come to America and you will see many wonderous things of beauty, both mechanical and otherwise. No one can make a contraption like an American. :wink: Gary

B607 said:
pfchris said:

Come to America and you will see many wonderous things of beauty, both mechanical and otherwise. No one can make a contraption like an American. :wink: Gary

You're tellin me! As a family we're all about US stuff, especially my Dad..this is his....

IMG_5717.jpg

Thanks for all the info on the bike though guys, it's all interesting. It's currently in my mums garage (not got the space at my place) so when I go back I'll jot down the frame number and work it out.

Thanks,

I love stuff like this,.............

In the UK these things are just an oddity while I'm sitting here crappin' my pants over it! :D
Even in that shape it's worth something, break it down and fleabay the parts.

Don't you love that license plate on the T-bird? WAS 373. No expiration date or stickers, no state name, or "first in fright" or "land of Lincoln" garbage. It just looks nice and clean. The car ain't half bad either. 8) Gary

Anybody notice that the Pea Picker seems to be missing the shifter and derailleur? Still an awesome find, though! :D

Nice cool bike that is worthy of a full resto. However, that will be expensive. I would clean it up as best possible, find a shifter for it, replace the tires, and make it rideable.

Welcome to the madhouse!

Guys, am I being dim?

That frame number (by the left rear dropout) reads 'BE60818'

Does anyone know what that translates to? I've looked at the guide, but there seems to be nothing starting with "BE"

Many thanks,

Chris

RETRACT THAT! It's a '69! Cool!

That's a great score. The Stik-Shifter with the overload tube is going to be a somewhat pricey thing to come up with. But it shouldn't be too much to get an old derailleur, a longer proper chain, and a basic friction thumb shifter installed. Get all the bearings greased up, throw some fresh brake pads on the back, and go pop some wheelies.
Cheers, Geoff

Back