hiding ugly welds before powdercoating

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i talked to a powdercoater today that i´m going to use for a project, theres some pretty nasty welds that i need to cover up somehow, in Denmark the normal thing to use i called Plastic padding, but he say it cant withstand the heat from the oven, any suggestions to what to use instead, i think he mentioned about 200 degrees Celcius in the oven.

regards
Flemming

Why not file down the knobby ones and 'spot' weld' up the low ones? I suppose its because you dont have a welder, or a friend with one........but there is no downside to using real metal.

find someone with a tig welder. without using a welding rod, you can slowly melt the weld and do small circular motions and make the weld look like a nice tig weld job. i use to do it in a automotive factory on messed up robot welds on mufflers.

JB Weld will withstand the heat and is easy to sand. Most welds can be hidden by simply filing down the high spots & turning up the Kv when coating the welds.

I think that the powder coat is baked on at 400 Deg F. Get a 4 inch grinder with a sanding disk and sand away. I know my welds aren't the best but the grinder fixes all my bad welds.

Sinner4 said:
I think that the powder coat is baked on at 400 Deg F. Get a 4 inch grinder with a sanding disk and sand away. I know my welds aren't the best but the grinder fixes all my bad welds.

Most powders are baked at 400 Deg F or below. Out-gassing is done at 450 Deg F.

Back