Higgins Goes the Distance

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great. The tank w/ matching chainguard is perfect. Good job lacing your first wheel. be careful you may become addicted.

Thanks guys.It's coming along.I keep getting more and more excited the closer it gets.
cman said:
Looks great. The tank w/ matching chainguard is perfect. Good job lacing your first wheel. be careful you may become addicted.

Yeah,lacing rims is no joke addictive.All I've been thinking about is different combos of hubs,hoops,and spoke patterns.It will probablly be my winter hobby(I have to get better at truing tho' :oops: :) ).

Luckily the cool stuff started showing up today to re focus my brain and I actually have a whole weekend off to get stuff done.
048.jpg

I got Bontrager slicks and my beehive today.So excited!!!

Leave the fork blue!!!!!! It looks great together.

Check out the EVENTS forum for our rides coming up.

joe

I think it would look cool if you painted the spring perch to match the tank/guard/wheels then left the legs bare metal.

Leave it BLUE. You can always paint in later. What says RatRod more than mismatched frame and forks.

Too late on the blue I already stripped it.I'm going to paint the spring perch with a small scallop on the legs and the plates that the tire bolt to.
020.jpg

I searched for these pedals hardcore and don't think I like them on the bike I may use black and throw them on my next project.
021.jpg

I have to work out a seat.I saw a crappy brooks on ebay and got sniped at the last second.I was going to try and dye it.I think I might just go with a black Brooks and a laid back seat post.Hopefully I'll get the springer painted tonight and can post a better pic tomorrow.
Love the feedback guys.Thanks for looking. :mrgreen:

Black pedals would look better. On my Cool Manchu bike, I had matching red grips, chainguard, and a neckerchief "tank". When I added matching pedals it seemed too busy - but black complemented everything else perfectly.

I would love to see a picture with the front dropouts flipped =)

sensor said:
icyuod2 said:
i like the grill over the back tire.
thatd be a skirt guard........and great bike! you going for paint or just leave it raw?
I believe they are/were called coat guards on men bikes and skirt guards on women's..

Yeah the blackpedals will be better and I have an idea for my next bike so they won't go to waste.I searched up and down for them and then was dissapointed.
I flipped the front dropouts when I got the springer and loved it,but I ment to post to see if anyone thought it would be a problem.The top of 2 rungs of the beehive compress towards the handle bars.I love the look and feel of it but don't wan't to mess up the springer.If anyone has thoughts on this please share :) .
I'll post pictures of it flipped in how to when I can get some pics.

I love the "coat guards" also and will use them some day.I planned on using them on my wife's next bike but if they are coat guards and not skirt guards I'll keep them for myself :D .

I have a seat and a Nexus 7 rear hub on the way, and am ordering handle bars tonight.It is down to the details I was going wait and see on and I'm pretty much winging it from here.I'll get pics up as soon as my springer dries.Thanks for the comments.

My wife just reminded me why I didn't flip the springer dropouts.When I had done it before I realized that when you flip them you also flip the way the spring reacts,so the spring has to expand instead of compress over bumps.It doesn't work but I'll flip it and take pics tommorow if you still wanna see it.

FINALLY!!!!! Got some parts today.Hopefully my hub will be here tomorrow and I can roll this thing this weekend.

The paint on the front fork laid down tons darker than the previous spray.It's way off in some light and looks alright in others.I'm gonna leave it for now and if it ends up getting to me I'll fix it this winter.

017.jpg

Handlebars came in from choppersus they are narrower than I expected but feel awesome.

020-1.jpg

Also recieved my seat.Super old.It's alot more comfortable than I expected tho' :D .

018.jpg

I need to make a seat post and lay this thing back.Have some detail ideas to work on this weekend.Need to find a thumb shifter for the Nexus so I can make a shifter, and figure out what I'm gonna do for grips.
016.jpg

As always thanks for the help and comments.You guys rule. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I love this bike so much, I want to take it underneath the bleachers and get it pregnant.

I had an idea for the grips. Use some black bar tape to cover 4-5" (where normal grips would go), leaving a ½" of chrome showing at the tip and no end plugs. It will kind of look like header wrap, which fits the racing theme and also invokes the tank graphics.

Photoshop magic

higginsrs0.jpg

That's cool.I was going to use grip tape but I was going to go red(seen by front sprocket) and get them dirty.In earlier pics the tape is dirty,It cut the red down.I like the black tho' :D

I think these were the best compliments I've ever recieved about anything.Hillarious :lol: :lol: .

My hub still wasn't shown so I just puttered around with some detail stuff this weekend.I drilled and tapped holes in the head tube(thanks to some help in how to,thanks guys)to re attach the head badge with allen head bolt I cut down.Did the same with the horn tank.Pics came out crappy.
I'll take more tommorow when the light is better.

Thanks for all the help and comments guys :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Back