High Build primer question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have a couple questions

1) Is it 1 good coat, sand it down, then another coat if needed and sand again. Or 2 coats then sand

2) what grit sand paper should I use to sand it all off?

Thanks

dont know about rattle can(if thats what your using but id assume itd be the same) but for regular stuff its pretty much 3 wet coats(10-15 min flash time between coats) let dry 4-24 hrs.(id opt for the 24hrs since itll have less chance of shrinking back),dry sand with 320,followed by 500-600 wet to get rid of the 320 scratches

sensor's got it. If you have pits, you'll need to sand more frequently between coats. Reason: primer fills pit, sanding takes the rest of the primer down to the top of the pit. Otherwise you'll still have pits, they will just be more shallow than before. If the bike is really bad I prime until the primer is almost (or is) running off it on the first coat. Then after sanding it down smooth I apply the next coat evenly and so on.

If you have a lot of deep pits you could go ahead and use putty on top of the first coat of primer. Most of the time I wet sand the first coat of primer almost completely back off with 240 grit sand paper if using a lot of filler putty, and then re-prime and use the finer grits.
Floyd

Latest posts

Back