Highwheeler/boneshaker ideas?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to build my own high wheeler bike for my Winter project. The biggest thing stopping me is how I would build the front hub/pedal arms. I know some of the modern repo bikes use some sort of freewheel set up instead of a direct drive. I am sure I could rig up a direct drive but I want this to be a rideable bike with pneumatic tires and modern brakes. I figured I would use a 28" rim up front and a 12" in the back. I know it won't be much of a "high" wheeler but the 28" tire is the biggest I can think of.

Does anyone have some input the can give me for the tallest pneumatic tire/rim available? Also I need some help with the front drive hub without spending big bucks. If anyone has done this, I would appreciate a link to their build page if they have one. For me the frame and fabrication part will be easy. There is really not much to one of these.

Thanks in advance,
Tommy

Coker makes a 36 inch wheel and tire. They were supposed to bring back their high wheeler, but I haven't seen it yet. You can get the big wheels and tires though, maybe the unicycle wheel has the cranks all set up. I think that's what their high wheeler used.
http://www.cokercycles.com/

Unicycle?! Why did I not think of that? LOL!! I kind of want a freewheel set up so I can coast down hills and such. I think for now I am going to use a unicycle wheel and go from there.

I have seen old unicycles pretty much given away. I will check out the Coker stuff but I may just use a 28" wheel and build a mini high wheel and then build another later when I can afford to buy a new 36" or larger wheel.

Thanks for the help. Any more info is appreciated.

Tommy

mikesbikes36 said:
i thought u left the site ? no ? or r u a differnt guy than upper class white trash ? just checkin ....

I am a different guy. I noticed there was a person here with that name. I have been using this name online for 10-12 years but only in this forum a year or so.

It wasn't me I promise :lol:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I don't think unicycle hubs coast typically. The 'fixie' aspect is what used to 'wobbble' back and forth to help maintain balance.

Good luck, I'd love to see an modern 'rat' Boneshaker.

Cheers!
Dr. T

Yes,I understand that. That is why I am interested in building another NOT using a unicycle. I am going to try the unicycle using a 27 or 28" wheel first just so I can get a practice bike done and then spend the money later for a proper freewheeling modern type high wheel. I figure this way I will have a small scale pattern, I can work out the bugs on the small one, and practice riding it before I hurt myself with a 4 foot fall from a real highwheeler. :)

The only 36" or bigger wheels I have seen are $500+ new. Buying a used bike and modifying it may be the way to go unless I can find a much cheaper source than what I have found so far.

That's cool. I was just throwin' that out there.
I always thought your idea would be cool, a 26"/27" up front (you could go fat tire with a 26) and a 12"/16" rear would make for a cool Highwheeler that the fall from wouldn't kill ya :mrgreen:

I can picture it with some fat whitewalls and a 'classic' cruiser paint scheme.

Cheers!
Dr. T

I have been eyeing up those "green machine" style bigwheels they have at toys r us. they have a 20' wheel setup, but you can use the hub out of that? I have not tried it yet or had a good look at it, but i think that they can coast? hope that helps

This was at the turkey day ride in Sacramento last month.

web.jpg

Latest posts

Back