Home Built Bike Rack for your hitch, anyone built one?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some ideas for a hitch mounted bike rack. I could buy one but that would be way too easy!! :mrgreen:

Has anyone built one, and you gotta any pics?

thanks!

Hey man... I cant help but thought I would throw in my two cents. I just bought a cheapish receiver rack that is just about worthless because very few of my bikes could be "hung" by the top bar like they are designed to be used. So My thoughts where to build a rack... My biggest problem is my "lumber rack" on my pickup does not make it easy to get the bikes in and out of my truck. And with the crossbed toolbox there is really not enough room anyway. So what I figured on doing is making a "H" looking structure that goes into my receiver and the bikes would live on the two long tubes. The trick would be making sure the tires where not able to slip off EVER.. (that would be bad, um kay) I have bikes that have from 1" to 4.25" wide tires so its hard to have one thing that would hold every wheel solid but my thought was to have a coulple of ears that slid on the tube that a pin or bolt would go though that went over the rim (though the spokes). and then use ratchet or motorcycle straps from the handlebar to actually make it secure. I dont know if they have a "Joe's" sporting goods where u are but if not there has to be something like it I suppose. The Joe's here has tons of Yakima rack parts.. Stuff that does not even show on there website. And maybe the thing to do is buy some of the Yakima parts that hold the bikes like there "stickup" rack and build the rest.....

Anway... I know its not much but I felt bad no one had responded to your post.... :cry:

Back