BO15 HOMEMADE SHINE has a totally different look!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally put a CWC springer on the CWC Western Flyer art deco bike. Had to piece it together. It's missing the lower truss rod pieces (because I only have one), but I actually like it this way. Plus I added a very cool art deco-looking headlight. I am not sure if it is a CWC headlight, but it looks right at home on the bike. I am going to use the headlight holes in the fender for some kind of hood ornament or mascot that hasn't been determined yet. Any suggestions?
DSCN1228.JPG
DSCN1227.JPG
DSCN1229.JPG
DSCN1230.JPG

Last edited:
I just made a deal on this original 1940 Elgin. Originally a blue and cream bike that was repainted green at some point in its life. But some of the green has been removed to show the original blue and cream underneath. There were some extra holes drilled in the tank. They have been filled and that's the reason for the primer. Only the headlight and the taillight are missing. The tires are even the correct style and are in nice shape. I am planning on doing a resurrection (not a restoration) to retain as much as the originality as possible with only a few component changes. Should be fun!
DSCN1236.JPG
DSCN1237.JPG
DSCN1238.JPG

I was fortunate enough to find the correct tank for this bike.........or at least half of the tank. Still need the other (left) side. Also installed the correct truss rods and kickstand. Looks a lot better (as long as you don't see the other side). Now I just need to find an acceptable chainguard.
DSCN1239.JPG
DSCN1240.JPG
DSCN1241.JPG

Fify. :giggle:
Can't wait to see what you come up with
Are you putting words in my mouth? Dang!!! You got me really good! I kept looking back through my comments trying to find those words. Then I figured it out! You and your italicized words!!! The sad thing is that I only have 3 sets of cream Fat Franks. I need about ten more. And it's a PITA to change a rear tire on that bike with all that unnecessary stuff on there! But I have already slammed the seat, installed a big Delta red taillight lens, and the apes are hangin'!!!

I like the BigTim style. Also, you have me looking for step through frames. Might make a lady bike called Tim someday. Shopping for cream tires. And yes indeed, I am having some fun, this place is my island of sanity in the tempest that is 2020.

I like the BigTim style. Also, you have me looking for step through frames. Might make a lady bike called Tim someday. Shopping for cream tires. And yes indeed, I am having some fun, this place is my island of sanity in the tempest that is 2020.
I have some nice vintage step-through frames. What flavor do you like?

Speaking of step-through bikes. This is a completely original '55 Schwinn Spitfire with balloon tire S-2 wheels. Everything is original. I bought it from the original owner's family after she passed away a few years ago. According to the original owner's son (who was a Schwinn tech), she would never let anyone else ride it (even family members). One of the best riding bikes I've ever owned.
DSCN1244.JPG
DSCN1245.JPG
DSCN1246.JPG

Last edited:
I have some nice vintage step-through frames. What flavor do you like?
This is my nicest (bare) step-through frame. I know that I will never get around to building it. It is a '54 Columbia in original maroon and cream paint. This one will clean up beautifully with minimal effort. The paint is very nice. The black down by the bottom bracket is just caked on grease. Let me know if you might want this one for your step-through build.
DSCN1247.JPG

Fify. :giggle:
Can't wait to see what you come up with
Are you putting words in my mouth? Dang!!! You got me really good! I kept looking back through my comments trying to find those words. Then I figured it out! You and your italicized words!!! The sad thing is that I only have 3 sets of cream Fat Franks. I need about ten more. And it's a PITA to change a rear tire on this bike with all that unnecessary stuff on there (rack, fender, etc)! But I have already slammed the seat (using a straight post), installed a big Delta red taillight lens, and the apes are hangin'!!! Now, where did I put those cream tires???
DSCN1248.JPG
DSCN1249.JPG
DSCN1250.JPG

Tim, that is a super cool frame, thanks for thinking of me. However, the Columbia is so high above my skill level and parts pile right now. I build ugly mutts. I'm probably going to build a little mixte, maybe a Raleigh or Peugeot, or a 24" MTB, something ugly but functional. It is going to be in your style like a fingerpainting chimp doing the Michaelangelo style.

However, the Columbia is so high above my skill level and parts pile right now.
Don't sell you self short, all it it takes is time, money, patience, and reading. You don't have to tell anyone else about the swearing, grazed knuckles, stripped threads, and buying five different versions of the same part until one fits, because you didn't know that from 1920 to 1922 French bicycles used an English standard whatever. No one else here talks about that part ;)

It is going to be in your style like a fingerpainting chimp doing the Michaelangelo style.
Or like the karete kid somethin somethin...

Tim, that is a super cool frame, thanks for thinking of me. However, the Columbia is so high above my skill level and parts pile right now. I build ugly mutts. I'm probably going to build a little mixte, maybe a Raleigh or Peugeot, or a 24" MTB, something ugly but functional. It is going to be in your style like a fingerpainting chimp doing the Michaelangelo style.
Skill level? I feel like a fingerpainting chimp most of the time. I just get lucky once in a while. But starting with the best canvas possible always helps, if for nothing more than the motivational factor! I do have a couple of junky 50's CWC step-through frames, if that's more your style? You can even do something extremely stupid with a "girl's" bike..............like this:
psycho bike.jpg

Back