TRADITIONAL Hops and Gnarly

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, almost done in less than an hour!

IMG_7582.JPG

IMG_7582.5.JPG

palmolive-youre-soaking-in-it.gif

After around 2 hours I removed the parts and put them in the bath tub to soak in hot water and baking soda. (No photo as I didn't want any evidence that I couldn't deny.) :21:

After a short soak, I took them outside, dried them with a towel, and immediately rubbed them down with WD-40 to prevent any new rust from starting.

IMG_7584.JPG

Well worth the $33 per gallon investment since it can be used over and over again!

I am a huge fan of evaporust. Sounds like you figured it out. I have found it works really fast if heated. I keep a tall plastic jar full. The jar is tall enough soak semi large parts like a stem. I keep a small jar for nuts and bolts. Both jars can be heated in the bath of my ultrasonic. And yes, you can use it over and over. It will eventually turn black as tar and slowly become less effective.

I often just throw parts in evaporust and forget about them for a few days.

I'm very stingy about wasting anything. So it was very disappointing to discover that the garbage bag had a tiny pinhole somewhere in it. Fortunately, it didn't leak very much, but any at all is too much. Anyway, I got everything out and brought out a thicker piece of black plastic for the chainguard.

While I had everything apart, I removed the packing peanuts and refilled the trough for the next round.

IMG_7585.JPG

Taking in consideration the tip that @Wayne made about cad plating, I taped over the plated bracket, Hopefully it won't penetrate the tape. most of it is above the solution level.

I took the chainguard out, rinsed, dried and WD-40'd it. There were a couple of spots where the rust was a little deeper and didn't dissolve completely. But I was concerned that the tape would not be a sufficient enough barrier for the plated bracket to chance leaving it overnight, so I went ahead and ended it.

I didn't get any pics because it was pushing sundown and I needed to clean up and put everything away for the night.

That stuff works great. I don't believe I've ever used it before.

Just found this cool pic of stem holstered guns and a cow horn Horn.

1717467240375.png

One thing that I'm looking forward to is your ride video outfit!

1717467439454.png

I don't see many of those Hopalong Cassidy bikes! Looking forward to seeing you put your personal touch on this one.

Also, I need to play around with Evaporust again.
There won't be any 'personal touches' on this one. The Hoppy belongs to a client and I'll be doing what I call a 'Legacy Restoration' on it. That means I will restore it to look like an original paint survivor. In other words, it will (hopefully) look like the original factory paint after years of unabated use. It will have a moderate amount of scrapes, dings, rust and grime.
That stuff works great. I don't believe I've ever used it before.

Just found this cool pic of stem holstered guns and a cow horn Horn.

View attachment 268240

One thing that I'm looking forward to is your ride video outfit!

View attachment 268241
I would totally rock that outfit if I had one. I might even be tempted to bring it to Savannah to compete for attention on one of y'all's rides!

A Hopalong Cassidy bike in the build-off? That's cool!

I've thought about building a rat rod cowboy tribute bike, but the rattiest ol' cowpoke I can think of is Festus from Gunsmoke.

The build-off was close to lining up with this job, so I thought that it might actually help push me along.

Can't go wrong with a Festus-inspired build. Do it!

I would totally rock that outfit if I had one. I might even be tempted to bring it to Savannah to compete for attention on one of y'all's rides!

You are long overdue for a Savannah visit and ride. Come on over any time!!!!

There won't be any 'personal touches' on this one. The Hoppy belongs to a client and I'll be doing what I call a 'Legacy Restoration' on it. That means I will restore it to look like an original paint survivor. In other words, it will (hopefully) look like the original factory paint after years of unabated use. It will have a moderate amount of scrapes, dings, rust and grime.
Well hey, that's enough of a "personal touch" to me! I just want to see you work your magic on this bike!

Will def be fun to see how you do this but will miss playing Columbo to try and solve the brain teasers. :D

university memory GIF

Last edited:
I picked these pieces of trim up at the most recent memory lane swap. The dealer told me they were off a boys 20 inch hopalong. I bought them for something else on a future project. He also told me good luck finding a set of the jewels that fit in the holes.
20240605_114838.jpg

Will def be fun to see how you do this but will miss playing Columbo to try and solve the brain teasers. :D

university memory GIF
My opening salvo and the hint for a name was all I could offer. No October surprises for this one.

I picked these pieces of trim up at the most recent memory lane swap. The dealer told me they were off a boys 20 inch hopalong. I bought them for something else on a future project. He also told me good luck finding a set of the jewels that fit in the holes.View attachment 268401
I'm learning as much as I can about the Hoppy bikes. So far I haven't seen anything like those pieces. Do you have a picture of how they are used?

My opening salvo and the hint for a name was all I could offer. No October surprises for this one.

I'm learning as much as I can about the Hoppy bikes. So far I haven't seen anything like those pieces. Do you have a picture of how they are used?
Had the wrong bike. It's off a Gene Autry bicycle. I got my cowboys mixed up.
FB_IMG_1715455426903.jpg

Back