Hornet old bike new update.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
But not new to Ratting. In college, my twin brother and I were called the Rat twins.

This is a 1961 Schwinn Hornet with some 3G forks. Wheels and tires were laying around. Thinking about painting it a rusty primer.

1204061552.jpg

I agree, no repaint. Looks awesome as is, maybe a cleaner/wax job on it at the most.

IMO some more hotrod looking tires would add even more attitude.

Very cool bike.

please don't paint it that is perfect. as mentioned maybe some different tires and roll it. oh yea if it were mine that seat would be slamed but thats just me. cool bike well done :D

Thanks for the comments. I do like the patina on the frame. The seat is up as I have been riding it to work for the past week. What tire would you recommend?

:) Electra makes a cool redline for that musclecar look or Kenda Flame for the Hot Rod look.

The seatpost is a must I find if your riding any distance other than sidewalk crusin'.

Here's what the redlines from Electra look like. I think on your bike though I'd go with white walls and give it the look like my 67 Typhoon below.

100_1833.jpg

100_1232-1.jpg

Cman.....you are in the company of a lot of true Rat Rod Bike guys and their comments are among the best!...

I'm with the crowd.
DO NOT PAINT IT...THE VALUE WILL DROP.

It's a very cool ride the way it is.Clean it up a bit...that's it.
The wide white walls as sugested is a good idea.Maybe throw on a Ratty old Brooks saddle and it's done.

very nice ride!

welcome aboard.

Kev.

Re: New Rat Rod Bikes

cman said:
But not new to Ratting. In college, my twin brother and I were called the Rat twins.

This is a 1961 Schwinn Hornet with some 3G forks. Wheels and tires were laying around. Thinking about painting it a rusty primer.

i'm probably in a minority, but I wouldn't paint it...i'd clean it up (using Meguiar's ScratchX or something similar).

Just my $.02

Here is a pic as I originally purchased the bike. Kinda of a wimpy bike. That is why I decided to Rod it. The fork was to be used on a new wood bike in the works, but i couldnt resist.
bike.jpg

updated

I obtained the some new tires for the Hornet. These came off a parts bike for the RRBBO I got last night. The tires are worth what I paid for the whole bike.

reratted.jpg

Those forks look great on it! Do you think you would be able to fit 3" wide tyres on it? If so I would probably go for either the Nirve 3" whitewalls or Electra Fatty-O whitewalls

Good looking bike overall, the whole front end, including handlebars, give it a good aggressive stance

They should fit a 3" tire. I just measure and there is 3.5" between the fork tubes. I want to put some Kenda 26x3 on it but they would not fit.

love the tires they are ritchy mobi bite 2.1 right? i gave a set away to a buddy for his bike before i realized they stoped making them oops :oops: oh well live and learn cool bike

Old thread but I just robbed a 3spd Nexus for this bike. I am kicking my self for not doing this earlier. No pics , still working on the cable routing. Need to cut the cable.

I love that thing Clancy..
I remember when you logged on a posted it way back when..
I loved it then,
and Multi Speeds will only add to it's coolness.

Is a Tricked out Shifter in order :?:
:D

keep us posted..

peace,
Kev.

A shifter is. I think a 3spd shimano click stick would work and be fairly easy to mount and modify into something cool. Will start having to look on Ebay unless I can talk Rickster out of the one he just picked up on that Hercules.

there was a 3 speed "ARCHIE COMICS" shifter like those for $15 NIB on the BAY the other day. Just deleted it from my second chance list the other day.

Back