Hot Rod Higgins - DONE. In the finished forum

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Rod Higgins - Potential new parts

Super nice scores for only $86!!!!
That LED is perfect under you seat.
I love the beehive!!!!!

kingfish254 said:
Super nice scores for only $86!!!!
That LED is perfect under you seat.
I love the beehive!!!!!

Thanks....I plan to have it re-chromed and use it on a custom bike that I am planning to build over the winter. :mrgreen:

Ok, the new horn looked stupid on the Higgins. It is more of a "cruiser" accessory, so I put it on my Firestone 500.

I started on the tail light. I destroyed yet another LED flashlight, wired in a switch and then took the light apart. First I painted the glass with some glass paint from the art supply store...

black30.jpg

Then I painted the gray housing my favorite color....flat black primer

black31.jpg

I also painted the chrome bezel with silver paint. The chrome was pitted and in pretty crappy shape.

Here it is installed and ready to go...

black32.jpg

and with a flip of the switch, you get a tail light for night riding. The light is actually brighter than it appears in the pic as it was in the middle of the day

black33.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Higgins - Tail light installed pg. 11

That's lookin really nice. Another contender for sure.

-East

Peatbog said:
I ride on the road a great deal, and I have noticed when I use a taillight, even during daylight hours, that cars give me more room when they pass. I don't know why that it, but it is.

What kind of bike to you ride? I am a cycling fanatic myself. I ride pretty much everyday. I try to get in around 175-200 miles a week. I spent the weekend mountain biking.

That tailight turned out sweet.
It really reminds me of the Elvis Sunglasses light that was supposed to be part of the Sinderella build.

Someone needs to make this light happen!!!

1338774399.jpg

Langsters are cool. I just sold an orange Masi singlespeed earlier this spring. I think I have like 17-18 bikes at last count. My primary rides are a Team Saxo Specialized Roubaix, a Salsa steel touring bike and a HiFi 29er full suspension mountain bike.

kingfish254 said:
That tailight turned out sweet.
It really reminds me of the Elvis Sunglasses light that was supposed to be part of the Sinderella build.

Someone needs to make this light happen!!!

1338774399.jpg

I am a big time Elvis fan. My aunt took me to see him when I was 7yrs old. We sat in the second row.

That Elvis light is crazy cool. Someone should pick that up and make it happen.

My tail light isn't bad for a $1 purchase! :mrgreen:

The glasses liht is a very good idea!! It gets me thinking....Daft-punk?

The glasses liht is a very good idea!! It gets me thinking....Daft-punk?
DaftPunk3D06.jpg

Peatbog said:
Those Salsas are cool. So is the Masi. There was a bike shop near me (but who moved away) who carried Masi. I'd go there just to look at them. That Specialized has a carbon frame, doesn't it?

My Masi was orange with deep V black wheels. It was a beautiful bike, but I never rode it. Mine had mustache bars. The Salsa is the Vaya. It has front/rear panniers. It weighs about 75lbs loaded with all my gear. I did 80+ miles one day coming across Missouri all loaded down. I slept well that night in my tent! :lol: I'm riding the Great Allegheny Passage in September.

The Specialized is carbon. I just walked in from a 50 mile ride tonight with some friends. I ride it 5-6 days a week. I bet this bike has over 6K miles on it and it is a 2010.

troub2.jpg

Awesome idea on the light Terry! :D Looks great 8)

Peatbog said:
Terry66 said:
The Specialized is carbon. I just walked in from a 50 mile ride tonight with some friends. I ride it 5-6 days a week. I bet this bike has over 6K miles on it and it is a 2010.

That's a cool bike. Had I been with you, I'd still be on the way back...

As long as you're riding, it doesn't matter how fast or slow. I don't want to get too off track, but cycling really turned my life around. I was really into it back in high school and college, but then life, kids, job got in the way. I was almost 300lbs on my 40th birthday. I decided that was insane, so in 2 years, I dropped over 110lbs down to about 180. I went from a size 42/44 pants to a 32 today. My first bike ride when I got back into it was 10 miles. I stopped 3 times and averaged about 8mph. Now, I average 21-22mph in a 10 mile time trial race and can put in 50-75miles without too much trouble. I am totally into bicycles!

your higgins is really coming together nicely! 8) love the graphics and parts. a little bit narrower bars,and i`d call her done! :wink:

texasbigjon said:
your higgins is really coming together nicely! 8) love the graphics and parts. a little bit narrower bars,and i`d call her done! :wink:

Yeah, I cut the bars down already and at this point, I am trying a couple things here and there, but I am satisfied with it as it stands.

Re: Hot Rod Higgins - Saved from page 3

Took the Higgins out for some "finished" photos and decided the bike wasn't "finished". I've been toying around with the idea of mounting up a speedo. I mean a speedo should be standard for a hot rod right? I found a killer deal on a speedo with a black cable, so now I just need to come up with a cool way to mount it. I also found a few other minor little pieces that will get the bike all wrapped up.

As a side note, I took it out for a spin and had a blast. The bike is too much fun. Rides like a dream.

All my parts are due in this week, so I should have it in the finished forum real soon.

Mounted up my speedo last night. I really like the hot rod look of the big speedo. I like the location. From the side and front, it isn't all that noticeable, so it doesn't mess up the overall lines of the bike. I need to go back and reroute the cable and I am not all that thrilled with the mounting bracket.

I got confirmation that my chrome axle spike nuts have shipped. Once those arrive, you can poke this build with a fork as it is done!

black30.jpg

That speedo really works well with your cockpit!!!!
GABCTW-PEACE!!!!

Re: Hot Rod Higgins - Speedo Pics

Thanks man….I really don’t want it to be too “slick”…but more of a raw hot rod look. I had this cool mount made that attaches under the square stem cap and puts the speedo centered out front, but it just didn’t look right. I like the location better here, although I’ll probably tuck it under the bars a little more.

Re: Hot Rod Higgins - Speedo Pics

Just don't tuck it so far that you make a turn and it screws up your paint job!!!!!

Latest posts

Back