Hot Shot speedy build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dumped at the back door a couple days ago.

Mongoose Hot Shot 7 speed bike. 2019. A fine example of a bso to avoid. This one had 24" wheels on a 700c frame. Humm, so, lets stick with the 24s. The oem 700 rims are quite weak. Replaced the rear hub with a coaster. Squeezed the rear triangle in to match. Pulled a Mongoose branded seat out of the parts bin. Removed the right rapid fire shifter. Works. Surely not oem. That's probably worth more than the rest of this bike. $10 perhaps? Tomorrow if it isn't raining too much I'll saw off the brake mounts and cable stops and touch up the paint. Right now the 24" knobs are rubbing on the rear brake mounts. I may put some bmx bars & stem on it so it will look like a mid sized bmx crusier. The seat post was missing and the seat tube flared way out. Such soft steel, easy to squeeze back in to shape.

Now that my memory is triggered, I had a 2017 Hot Shot five years ago. The only time I rode it ( 3 blocks), it flipped me over the bars. The headset bearing cage was mangled so all the balls migrated to one end. When I touched the front brakes the fork snapped backwards and locked up the front wheel. I replaced the bearings with 24 loose balls and sold it the same day. Flipped and flipped. So I'll check the headset bearings on this one. Should be a safer bike with out hand brakes.

Before photo.

Mongoose.Hot.Shot.SNFSD19CE5606 (1).jpg

Latest posts

Back