Hot Wheels Hemi - Ready to Show!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Felt Canvas frame last year, found some Hoggy G tires and it hung in the garage most of the summer.
2012-07-26_zps3406dbd9.jpg

By October I came up with an idea of having "HEMI" with an black dart falling down the top of the tank so off to Xterm Graphics I went and here is what we came up with.
hemigraphic_zpsd730100f.jpg

Ok, I like it! So I had though it would go good with the Dodge Charge orange, but I also really like the 2012 Camaro green. In my searching I found the Chevrolet Camaro Hot Wheels Concept. Well that did it, I had to go with green "synergy green"!
hotwheelsred_zps44648e39.jpg

And this is the inspiration!
synergy-green-camaro_zps3a499889.jpg

I sent the frame out to a local paint shop that costs a bit more than average for the job but the paint work is always top notch. :!:

I knew what rims I wanted but there didn't seem to be any 24"x80mm in North America so I got them from Germany. (Actually bought three sets. :D )
80mmrims_zps91c7a769.jpg

Here is the difference between the same tire on a 25mm rim and the 80mm rim.
80mmrimswtire_zps4b528181.jpg

Laced them up with black spokes and hubs with a 2 speed kick back and a 22T offset cog.
2speedkickback_zpsee1e100e.jpg

Got a Hot Wheels seat from Motostrano along with a few other items.
Hotwheelsseat_zps12f0a113.jpg

Zero stack head set
zerostack_zps48b1500e.jpg

I wanted a cool head light for this one, but a bicycle light was going to be too small and a motorcycle headlight too big. I just happen to find a pair of dummy lights from the 60s at a swap meet for $10! and the perfect size. I sent them out to be de-chromed as Im going to colour match the light to the bike.
lights_zpsbc192aa5.jpg

Now I need a mounting plate for the light, here is the template and aluminum plate I used.
lightbracket1_zpse082f59a.jpg

Now I need to figure out how to make the light look like these halo lights.
2010CamaroSynergyGreenHalosHeadligh_zps6518ca64.jpg

WoW! Just got the frame back from paint , And I love it! Mirror like finish, better than I expected.
painted1_zps3d767f85.jpg

Ok, couldn't leave it alone had to start assembly.
painted2_zpsa5e7047b.jpg

Light bracket is cut out and setting the right bends in it.
lightbracket2_zpsada6cfd3.jpg

Counter sunk mounting holes in the lower tree for the light.
lightbracket3_zps027d27a9.jpg

Cut the fork tubes to the desired length.
cutforks_zps6d23faba.jpg

The light bracket drilled, painted black and the light all set up with LED halo light and a micro switch.
bikelight_zps78e5111f.jpg

Mounted the bars and grips.
lightbracket4_zpsaa4b4366.jpg

Had to put a washer on the cog side of the rear wheel to keep the chain away from the frame, (I was just too close for comfort). Also had to put spacers at the front mount of the chain guard to get the proper spacing for the chain ring used.
finalstage2_zps023fc0d7.jpg

LIGHTS ON!
lights-on_zpsae084d8b.jpg

finalstage3_zpsc96e84bf.jpg

This is my son, Mason trying to claim it as his now!!!
hemi-mason_zps76f617f0.jpg

I'm not done yet. I've got to pull the wheels off and polish the flange of the rims to match the chain ring cover. Then it gets the black, yellow and red graphics done next week. More photos to follow!

Re: Hot Wheels Hemi

Diggin this build color choice is always important an you have nailed it 8)

Awesome build man , simple and clean plus a killer choice of color ! 8)

Beautiful bike. What kind of seatpost is that? The headlight is perfect. Nice clean lines

Great looking build! :D I really like the color and Hot Wheels theme (I'm a Hot Wheels nut!) :mrgreen:

Started working on stripping off anodizing from the rim flange to polish it to match the chain ring.
This is going to take some time!
stripingwheels_zpsf80e2040.jpg

evalu8r said:
Started working on stripping off anodizing from the rim flange to polish it to match the chain ring.
This is going to take some time!
Be worth it when it is done though!

Luke.

MplsCoaster said:
Cool bike! thanks for the tire/rim comp

Thanks Guys,
The rims aren't done yet but I'll post the pics after they're polished.
I've carefully hand brushed three coats of stove cleaner on the flange and still there is black left. Going to try to sand out the rest.

I worked on a display platform today that will look like a Hot Wheels track to hold the bike for a show I've entered into.
Its next weekend :shock: so I'm going to have to put in some hours this week to get this machine completed!

This morning with my coffee and a steady hand I coloured in the Hot Wheels logo on the seat.

HWseat_zps5bb15fa4.jpg

And tonight I worked on mounting a stainless steel fender trim piece off a 39 Buick, its going on the tank/top bar. I drilled out two holes for copper rivet nuts and laid a piece of 3M paint protector down where the trim will sit.

trim1_zps2a0dec96.jpg

Had to do some grinding and shaping to make the trim fit but I think it looks pretty good. I need to fit different screws, I don't like the allen head ones I've used.

trim4_zps2075c3e8.jpg

trim2_zps2f1a174b.jpg

Well, I cut the boards yesterday and assembled part of the display. Today I ran the router & sander over it then gave it a base coat of quality premier.
The stand will look like a piece of Hot Wheels track.

displaytrack_zps21a5f78f.jpg

There, got a coat of Orange on, now it's starting to look like Hot Wheels track!

displaytrackorange_zps67daee37.jpg

What is the cap that you used on the Joker Machine seat mount? I also have one, but just dont care for the unfinished look it has w/o a cap.

Back