How do i get white grips clean?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked and cant find anything so far to work. I have some soft supposed to be white bmx grips. I have tried bleach, dishsoap, oxi-clean, l.a.s totally awesome, tide,simple green, the purple stuff, throwing them. Nothing is getting the black stuff(possibly grease) out of the little grooves in them. I have about 2 - 3 hours of scrubbing them , 20 hours of trying to bleach them and about 4 more hours trying everything else. I dont want to buy new. They came on a rare bike and im going to use them. I just want them somewhat clean. Im open to any and all suggestions. Im thinking og getting out a pot and torch and filling the pot half full of bleack, half full of water and boiling it outside. I know it will create fumes thats why im wanting to do it outside. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

If there are any clock repair guys in your area have them put them in their ulrasonic cleaner with a sudsy amonia mixture,the agitation of the ultrasonic waves really cleans breaks up anything down in the crevices and grooves

magic eraser. i use it on white rubber shoe soles and it takes them from brown to brand new like its nothin. theyre pretty awesome

SEM or Duplicolor Vinyl paint, sold at body shop/detail supplier and some auto parts stores, comes in white.

(it's actually a dye, not paint, so it won't flake off) :D

A tooth brush & Fast Orange hand cleaner has worked wonders for me. Works great for other colored grips & seat covers, too. I bet Westley's (sp?) Bleach White would work, too. I used it once when I had a car w/a white vinyl top (Dodge Dart Swinger, I'm missing it :( ) & it worked wonders on it & white wall tires.

I should also mention that Fast Orange is also great for cleaning the hardened crust of grease that's sometimes on old bearing races. And it saves you the trouble of removing the bearing cups to soak them. I've found nothing better to get grease off of my skin, so it only makes sense...

Latest posts

Back