How do I stretch a frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a hard time finding anything on this site to help me in stretching a frame. Im sure its out there, maybe I'm just not looking in the right spots...

oh well. If you have any helpful tips, thow them here please :D

Here is the frame I plan on stretching

Get a friend to pull the rear while you pull the front. Should stretch right out. Okay, seriously, just figure out where you want to add length at. If it is in the rear triangle, cut it off wherever you want as long as it is in the same places on both sides. Find a donor bike with same size tubing and cut out what you need. I like to find smaller tubing to insert into the parts I am welding together for reinforcement. You will need to bend the tubes coming from the dropouts closer together to match the new geometry. If possible do this with the dropouts in a vice or else the dropouts will warp and you will be stuck smacking them with a hammer. That's how I did this one. I didn't need to add a ton of length so I cut the original triangle closer to the dropouts and cut the donor triangle closer to the fenderstay, then opened the original triangle some in addition to closing the donor triangle some. I probably gained about 7"-8" length in the rear and only had to weld each tube once rather than inserting donor tubing. It just depends on how much you need to gain.
SANY0792.jpg

Cut it in half, add some tubing the same o.d. and as long as you want, and weld it back together. You may want to move the bottom bracket forward depending on how far you stretch it.
I know it sounds like a smart @** answer, but thats all it entails.

Latest posts

Back