How do ya feel about this cheap welder?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I'd like to start welding, but I'm not trying to go broke either. On harbor freight tools there's a 90 amp flux core welder for $109. I know this is probably not a good welder. I have a $25 giftcard and feel like this welder would be perfect to start welding with. What I need to know is it worth it? Can it weld steel tubing, like bike tubing? And do the welds come out strong enough to support someone? So does anyone have or has had this welder and can give me some insight?

Thanks

Will it work....Yes.

Will it work well...no, Cheap parts will reduce electrical discharge.

Flux core isnt bad really, but a bottle fed welder will give you much cleaner welds without all the flux pockets in the weld bead you will find with a flux core unit.

The problem with buying a cheap welder for someone that hasnt welded before is it doesnt have the adjustability or control of a better unit so the learning curve can be really frustrating and getting a descent weld (strong) that looks nice will be really hard. If you plan on welding more than one or two projects you really are better off saving your money for a cheaper quality unit that has a small bottle. I ran Lincoln mig welders for years until upgarding the a new 220 Hobart machine two years ago. I have welded everything from chassis and compents for my hotrods to chopping the top on a 49 Ford buisness coupe.

You also my want to check into classes at the local community college. I have seen so many bad welds on hotrods that I didnt even want to park next to them in fear something might fall off and hit my car.

A pretty weld is not necessarily a strong weld and an ugly weld is just ugly.

Ichoptop said:
Will it work....Yes.

Will it work well...no, Cheap parts will reduce electrical discharge.

Flux core isnt bad really, but a bottle fed welder will give you much cleaner welds without all the flux pockets in the weld bead you will find with a flux core unit.

The problem with buying a cheap welder for someone that hasnt welded before is it doesnt have the adjustability or control of a better unit so the learning curve can be really frustrating and getting a descent weld (strong) that looks nice will be really hard. If you plan on welding more than one or two projects you really are better off saving your money for a cheaper quality unit that has a small bottle. I ran Lincoln mig welders for years until upgarding the a new 220 Hobart machine two years ago. I have welded everything from chassis and compents for my hotrods to chopping the top on a 49 Ford buisness coupe.

You also my want to check into classes at the local community college. I have seen so many bad welds on hotrods that I didnt even want to park next to them in fear something might fall off and hit my car.

A pretty weld is not necessarily a strong weld and an ugly weld is just ugly.

Thanks for the info! How much would a small bottle mig cost me? And about classes a clod friend if mine is certified in mig and tig welding and he will teach me. So I'm good with thàt lol

a clod friend if mine is certified in mig and tig welding and he will teach me. So I'm good with thàt lol

He should have a welder or access to one. Learn some and then check out welders that you can afford.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Uncle Stretch said:
a clod friend if mine is certified in mig and tig welding and he will teach me. So I'm good with thàt lol

He should have a welder or access to one. Learn some and then check out welders that you can afford.
Just my 2 cents worth.
I didn't even think of that! I'll go talk to him

If he is a good friend he won't let you buy a Harbor Freight welder ...
If he is certifyed ask him how he feels about them .

We have had this conversation several times here already .. If Complacentcy is the standard for you & just gota have a junk tool ..... go for it .... junk in .. junk out

Its like brain serguary with a pocket knife. Can ya do it ... yes ... is it ever gonna be succesful or pretty .... Im really doubting it but its cheep , and you could do it ok.

Not trying to Bash anyone ... just being honest as possable

Something like a cheap HF grinder is one thing, but a welder that wont carry a bead or penetrate is not being a welder. A good, experienced welder can make a poor tool do a job, but a good tool will make a novice do better than he would think.
Think of the objective.

gcrank1 said:
Something like a cheap HF grinder is one thing, but a welder that wont carry a bead or penetrate is not being a welder. A good, experienced welder can make a poor tool do a job, but a good tool will make a novice do better than he would think.
Think of the objective.
Yeah...I'm not going to buy it. I'll save up money to get a real good one

I've used both commercial Hobart welders and some of the cheap ones from HF. If you get a better wire they weld just fine in the right hands. If you have the option to add a bottle then all the better. The main things these welders do not have are durability and duty cycle. Plus the wire they come with is crap.

I wouldn't immediately dismiss them.

A decent mig is a big purchase up front and gas can get expensive if you do a lot of welding.
I just got my (admittedly large) gas bottle refilled today, cost me $103, I also pay bottle rental fees which come to about $17 a month ($200+a year) For me it is worth it, I use my welder a lot and I have the machine, skills and experience to get the best out of it, but for some this is just too much of an outlay up front and may prevent them from taking up welding/building bikes/whatever as a hobby.

What the answer is I dont know, I would always suggest going to a welding class or getting a competent friend to teach you, I also think that people unreasonably dismiss the humble stick (electrode) welder for building bikes, if you have some training you can build any of the bikes on here with a cheaper but still decent little stick welder, it will require more patience and more time, but, less moving parts to go wrong, no gas to worry about and a decent stick welder is probably half the price of a decent mig! Go to the welding course or friend and try it, you might be surprised!

Just my 2 cent opinion... By the way, all this is coming from a fully certified structural fabricator and welder...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
A decent mig is a big purchase up front and gas can get expensive if you do a lot of welding.
I just got my (admittedly large) gas bottle refilled today, cost me $103, I also pay bottle rental fees which come to about $17 a month ($200+a year) For me it is worth it, I use my welder a lot and I have the machine, skills and experience to get the best out of it, but for some this is just too much of an outlay up front and may prevent them from taking up welding/building bikes/whatever as a hobby.

What the answer is I dont know, I would always suggest going to a welding class or getting a competent friend to teach you, I also think that people unreasonably dismiss the humble stick (electrode) welder for building bikes, if you have some training you can build any of the bikes on here with a cheaper but still decent little stick welder, it will require more patience and more time, but, less moving parts to go wrong, no gas to worry about and a decent stick welder is probably half the price of a decent mig! Go to the welding course or friend and try it, you might be surprised!

Just my 2 cent opinion... By the way, all this is coming from a fully certified structural fabricator and welder...

Luke.

My friend taught me how to mig weld and sometimes I use my uncles stick welder....I can lay down some mean beads lol I'm not that good of a welder yet...i may still buy he cheapo harbor freight one just to practice on...I read on another forum that if you change a few things in the wire feed system it will work perfectly and if buy some Lincoln or miller wire. I heard that it makes a huge difference changing those things

Yea, the biggest things I have heard against the hf model is the hf wire, and it comes stock setup for DC welds, there are tuts on the web for correcting this and than the welder is supposed to be pretty decent for what you pay. I know a couple of guys that have them that do some custom bikes, they bought them for interim solutions and are still us I g them years later... if you get serious later it is no great loss to sell the unit and buy a better model...

Ymmv... oh, and practice, alot, it,s the only way to get better.

Rich

RichL said:
Yea, the biggest things I have heard against the hf model is the hf wire, and it comes stock setup for DC welds, there are tuts on the web for correcting this and than the welder is supposed to be pretty decent for what you pay. I know a couple of guys that have them that do some custom bikes, they bought them for interim solutions and are still us I g them years later... if you get serious later it is no great loss to sell the unit and buy a better model...

Ymmv... oh, and practice, alot, it,s the only way to get better.

Rich

Yeah I think I'm gonna do that...I heard it's good just to spot weld and stuff. Just to hold a few things over...now I just need the $110 or wherever it costs

I typically do not like to recommend the unit, but for a starter unit for people severally financially challenged that want to weld. Ya gotta do with what you can afford. As an example, my Miller buzbox stick welder is over 20 years old, and I do not see it dying anytime soon. I have 3 different Lincoln mig welders ranging from 1 year old to almost 30 years old... I doubt you will get that kind of use from the HF model :)

1/16" mild steel is pretty much where you will be welding, anything more with challenge the welder, bikes, small automotive projects and such are good areas for the welder. 1/4" and up is not a good place for this welder :)

Happy welding and fabricating!

Rich

i just bought a harbor freight flux line feed welder and i have noticed it is a lil tough to mae clean welds
also i don't seem to be making strong welds with this particular welder
it is a mig 100 welder
i like it but yea no control and its sometimes tough to get a electrical discharge from stuff long story short a good welder for the money strapped just might take a few tries to make the welds strong and the weld won't be clean as this type of welder causes alot of pockets
hope this helps
Sean

burrkrayecycles said:
i just bought a harbor freight flux line feed welder and i have noticed it is a lil tough to mae clean welds
also i don't seem to be making strong welds with this particular welder
it is a mig 100 welder
i like it but yea no control and its sometimes tough to get a electrical discharge from stuff long story short a good welder for the money strapped just might take a few tries to make the welds strong and the weld won't be clean as this type of welder causes alot of pockets
hope this helps
Sean

I have the same welder and get good welds from it. Not as good as my Hobart and gas but certainly good penetration within its limits. Try different wire.

Latest posts

Back