How do YOU route your cables?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for ideas on how to route my cables in the most unobtrusive way, barring in-frame, I'm working with a cruiser frame which I've always liked the lines of and have a 3 speed, front and rear cables im working to route, I have a temporary setup I'm not liking too much, anyways, post some descriptions, ideas, pics of your setup or whatever comes to mind

Full housing runs(Nexus 3spd)
3spd on a cruiser I usually route on the top tube and down the seat stays. You can try the down tube then to the chain stays but you have to go around the BB.

Partial housing runs( Sturmey Archer)
Same as above and put the pulley just below the seat cluster.

I don't have brake cables to route, but I modded the tank to route the gear cable through.

ehao2u.jpg

Thruough the tank looks pretty clean, wish I had a tank! I think I might try the down tube and the BB and see how that works

You don't need housing running the whole length. You could could put stoppers and guides like what you see on most geared bikes. So, two short pieces of housing and then the exposed cable running down the tube under the BB to the rear hub. Most bikes have built in stoppers but on the older cheap ten speeds it's usually hardware mounted on, maybe just find those things and eliminate most of the housing.
tenspeeds-bikebarn007.jpg

There are a few older shops with some stop clamps in a drawer, but your best bet finding them is likely to be yard sale/trash day bikes, or a bike riders forum, like say, oh, I don't know, maybe the "swap meet" section of http://www.ratrodbikes.com/ :mrgreen:

Color matching your sheath (housing, whatever) to your bike can work. Especially if, like me, your geared bikes tend to be black. :wink:

Latest posts

Back