how do you space out a big chainring?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cruiser frame with a one piece crank. I'm putting a large chainring on it. In order for it to clear the frame I had to spacer it out on the crank (a one piece). So it works fine except there is not enough thread on the off side to put a locknut on.

1- Do one piece cranks come in different widths?
2- Will I have to get it split and welded?
3- How far will it go without a locknut before it all goes bad?

Thanks loads! The bike is here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=47113

Once you space out the chainring, how will you move the rear sprocket to keep the chainline straight? Especially with single speeds, it is easy to throw a chain if the chainline is off at all.Generally, the side of the crank hanger lines up to somewhere near 1/4" from the dropout on the chain side. Moving the chainring out will make it pull the chain to the outside of the rear sprocket. Not being critical, just wondering what steps you are taking to keep the chain on, or if it is even neccessary with the distance you had to move things.

I moved the chainring out about 3/8". The chainline seems ok, the chainring is from a double ring so I think it will allow the chain to keep sliding on. If you think about how the chainline is on a 10 speed when you're cross chaining it, it can be off by an inch. It doesn't like it, but it'll take it.

How do folks put those HUGE excercycle chainrings on? The ones that are the size of dinner plates? This one isn't anywhere near as big, it's a 48 I think but they must run into the same problems?

I do have a Roadmaster Mountain Climber out in the pile, I will try the crank off it.

Thanks for your help guys, anyone else?

ozz, I like yr Timothy Leary qoute. 8)

Have you looked at adding a dimple to the chain stay? I have done this hundreds of times.

c.p.odom, I wondered about that, I guess it's not too hard? Do you use a vice or what?

Thanks a lot for your help. What bikes on here do you like?

Latest posts

Back