How do you store your bike collection?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your ideas of storing your bikes? I had an Idea of storing on the wall and ceiling, to save room in the garage. Hanging them from the Ceiling from a hook or chain with both tires touching the wall. There is the option to hang from front wheel, Bars, or Neck. I was thinking of hanging from the bottom part of the neck, just where the forks enter the frame. I have not done it yet, but it seems like the balance point for the tires to touch the wall. Several bikes. Has anyone tried this?

I am planning this storage because if I put everything on the floor of my two car garage, I have no where to work or walk. Looks like they must go up to second story until needed. If I am lucky I can put a car in the garage. I was thinking of using a chain inside a rubber hose around the neck of the bike.

I have a floor rack that holds 2 bikes. I set this up at the back of my garage and have the bikes opposite each other (facing each other) in the rack. Then I have 10 hanging from the rafters. All but one on hooks. The one hanging differently is by a hoist and that is a light gov'nor type bike. I have 2 hanging on the garage wall on hooks standing upright. I have 4 on the garage floor that I am working on. I have a 3 stall un heated garage. I have 6 hanging from the rafters in my garden shed. I have one in my small metal building where I keep either my snow blowers or lawn mower and leaf mulcher, depending on the season. I have 3 in my basement. Then I have a garage at our cabin and I have 3 there along with a 4 wheeler, 1957 Triumph 650, camper trailer and 7 boats. The secret to having stuff is to never get rid of anything.

I got two of these racks on a cyber Monday sale.

Best thing I could have done, the bikes are out of the way and my bike are pristine this keeps them that way.

image.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really a space saver sort myself., though Im impeccable when it comes to keeping neat and tidy. Given Im already so limited in a one bedroom flat, three stories up., I keep my bicycles, the built ones, In the bedroom, where I can stare at them and mull over the next set of details for it until I deem it finished,. then bring in the next for thoughts. It helps me, because Im so easily distracted. I could be watching a movie and just occasionally glance over and consider what a certain spoke alignment would look like, or where I could put a Klaxon cleverly.. etc.. I dont get much done, fast.. but what I do get done, I like. all are floored, no hooks or hangers., though I guess I could hang some in the back hall..
[I'll consider that when i cant fit in the bedroom anymore ;) ]

I currently live in a 30'X8' Travel Trailer and have an 8'X8' shed for storage-i've got room for some hacksawed parts and maybe one small frame-so like it or not, my fledgeling collection (one so far :21:) must remain outdoors.

I currently live in a 30'X8' Travel Trailer and have an 8'X8' shed for storage-i've got room for some hacksawed parts and maybe one small frame-so like it or not, my fledgeling collection (one so far :21:) must remain outdoors.
Build a Shed. Its Easy, Just put a blue tarp over the bike. Its an Instant Shed.

Here you go....26 Bikes and 2 cars, plus a bunch of randomness in the area of a 2 car garage. I need to tidy up a bit, but you get the idea. What I found is there is no single way to maximize the space. Some of mine hang by the front wheel, some displayed on the wall, and some on the floor. Also notice some currently empty joist mounted hoists that I can get three more off of the ground if I choose to. I wanted them to not only be "stored" but displayed to some extent and I change the order around occasionally just so nothing is ever shoved to the back for too long. All are ready to ride and any bike can be taken out by moving a minimum of others first.

Cool idea hanging the bikes from the from front tire! I'm stealing that! Also, is that a hanging bunk bed with the hula skirt curtains? I'm also stealing that for when the wife throws me out of the house for spending too much time with "my babies" :grin:

Last edited:
Great Pictures of your garage CeeBee, For some reason I am a little worried about hooking on the front wheel. A little worried it may tweek the front wheel. I am thinking of hanging a hook on a chain 26 inches from wall and 14 inches from ceiling and hooking it on the fork right under the neck. How wide apart? the Width of the handle bars?
I only want to do it once..... 26 times. It would look like the bike was riding up the wall.
I saw one picture where one members bikes were at an angle. But that would take up about 36 inches in width. I was thinking every 26 inches or the width of cruiser bars.
I know too much talk and not enough action. I will just go and get some chain and make a hook to experiment with.

Back