How far are you willing to go...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To attend a bike-related meet/gathering/show/etc?

I've been thinking about this lately - there are so many incredibly cool bikes that were just built for the build off, that it's too bad that we're all spread out for the most part. It would be cool if there could be some kind of Rat Rod Bikes Official Gathering (RRBOG?), at least here on the east coast, where we don't seem to have quite the regional member concentration as is out west.

So, that leads me to my question. How far - and how willing - are people to travel to attend some sort of RRB gathering? Keep in mind that unless it piggybacks on an existing event, it would likely just be a bunch of folk hanging around and riding, at least initially. I'm just curious. Personally, I'd go 7 or 8 hours anyway if it looked likely to be well attended by other members, at least once to have a shot at meeting others and seeing their builds. But, I drive long distance frequently and it's less of an issue for me than for others, I'd imagine.

With everything else going on all year long, it's tough to get a long road trip going for a bike show or ride. If it could be done virtually somehow that would work.

we ( me and dogdart) WILL make it to Cincy...hopefully next year. I have so many hobbies...I bassfish,and kayak fishing, motorcycling,too. I get 2 weeks vacation, and the shop shuts down the week of christmas every year, so that uses 1 week. The other I use in June as a family fishing trip....But I wanna plan a friday/weekend trip to a great bicycle swap meet/show. Ill try to make it next year! Jeff, lets DO IT!!!

I'm going to this meet, it'll take me 6 hours to get there, probably. I'll probably be camping somewhere. In fact, now that I think about it I should look for a campground and make some reservations. How did it get to be the middle of August already???

expjawa said:
To attend a bike-related meet/gathering/show/etc?

Portland, Oregon TDF - 1,775 - miles.
Tempe, Arizona TDF - 1.006 - miles.
Abita Springs, Louisiana - Louisiana Bicycle Fest - 814 miles.
Minneapolis, Minnesota - TDF - 641 miles.
Ft Collins, Colorado - TDF - 583 miles.
Kansas City, Missouri - El Torreon, Peddlers swaps - 200 miles.
Partridge, Kansas - Partridge Pedal Fest - 64 miles.
Haysville, KS - Midwest Bicycle Fest - 3 blocks.

This is just a drop in the bucket when you consider the miles we've traveled just to ride a trail or path.

:roll: 8) :D

Timing is everything though.

aka_locojoe said:
Everyone come to the Midwest Bicycle Fest in Kansas. We're in the middle.

Maybe start smaller. Pick a handful of established events around the country and designate them a "official ratodbike.com event" with Steve's approval. This would help promote this site and maybe encourage people to attend knowing they'll meet up with other RRBers.

aka_locojoe said:
Maybe start smaller. Pick a handful of established events around the country and designate them a "official ratodbike.com event" with Steve's approval. This would help promote this site and maybe encourage people to attend knowing they'll meet up with other RRBers.
That sound like a good Idea

aka_locojoe said:

I agree with this idea, maybe designate one event on the east coast, one in the central, and one in the west coast.

For the Central region, I nominate the Midwest Bicycle Fest, as it is an already established event that draws in 300-500 participants every year. Piggybacking in the Ratrodbikes reunion event would be easy money. 8)

bike2112 said:
East Coast...Trexlertown PA could be a great venue.
I've been there once & want to go again , but , I think the type of gathering we need is gonna have to be more of an all around event , with things to do for the whole family . Which is why I the the Rat Riders thing already has a lot going for it . To bad it is already passed :(

The trouble I have is that I'm not familiar with any of the events aside from the Ann Arbor, MI one in the spring, and that's only by hearing about it. If you see me posting about events asking what they're like, well, that's why. Picking a regional event is what makes the most sense if we were to have a RRB gathering, that was what I had in the back of my mind. I just wanted to know if we did, what was the likelihood that people would come. I've tried putting this sort of thing together before in other car clubs, and ultimately it becomes very difficult to get people to agree - and commit - to going. That's why tying it to an event that is established and persumably has some draw to it is helpful.

Now back to my previous point, is there someplace were I can find a list of appropriate east coast events? If not, is someone knowledgeable of them willing to draft one? Oh, on a quasi-tangentially related note, does anyone here go to the AACA annual fall meet in Hershey, PA? It isn't bike-specific, especially since it's an antique car event, but the swap meet is vast and there are always bikes everywhere. Also, Memory Lane Classics has a both there too.

ya know, Craig Morrow of Bicycle heaven does 2 shows a year, and he has vast parking. I could mention it, possible tent area? Jeff, what do ya think. I bet everyone on here would love to see his thousands of display bicycles.......

Voyager Al said:
ya know, Craig Morrow of Bicycle heaven does 2 shows a year, and he has vast parking. I could mention it, possible tent area? Jeff, what do ya think. I bet everyone on here would love to see his thousands of display bicycles.......

Looks like the next one is september 16. Just over a month out. I could probably plan to attend, depending on other things, but that's not a lot of notice for a lot of folks. Still, it would be real cool if we could get together at least a handful of RRB members there. How would something like that be arranged?

My last post didn't make much sense. I meant to say that I am going to this meet viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57271. Hopefully. It'll be fiveish hours, that's about as far as I would be able to go. One day, two nights.

Someone needs to get a big bus and have a rolling RRB meet. I know some retirees could pull that off :lol:

Voyager Al said:
I know the last one we had at least 6 RRB'ers present. It was a good swap meet. Lotsa buying and trading went on.

Any pictures or whatnot to relate how big the meet is, or at least what to expect? There isn't really any info of their website...

nopics that I have,last show had about 25 booths, or areas. I worked outta my van. Sold a few bikes, bought a few. Went home with more than I left with. It could be bigger this time, given the talk of those who were there. Hoping dogdart chimes in here soon...... Black Crown was there...Herman, and a few others......

Back