How I make a Lucky 7 or Lazy 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
First off, a standard Lucky 7 is pretty easy, just take some 5/8" solid round rod, heat it till red with a torch and then bend it to the desired angle.

DSC00731.jpg

This works OK if you have a really old bike from the 20s or 30s that has a 5/8s seat tube. But for a later bike with a 13/16 seat tube you can either use a shim with one of these posts or here is how to make a L7 post that goes from 13/16s to 5/8s.

The other day I took a few pictures while making the Lazy 7 seat post for my Hiawatha Rat bike project. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=34935

Thought I'd share the how to:
I start with about 1 foot of 5/8" solid round rod, and a standard 13/16 seat post.

DSC00784.jpg

Insert the 5/8s rod into the bottom of the seat post.

DSC00785.jpg

Then tig weld around the seam between the two.

DSC00786.jpg

Then cut the extra 5/8s part off the old seat tube, and weld around the bottom.

DSC00787.jpg

Then, with a torch heat up the 5/8" rod till red hot and then with a large wrench or pipe bend to the desired angle.

DSC00789.jpg

DSC00791.jpg

Then finish off with a little grinding, sanding and brass brush work to give them a nice polished shine, or you can just leave them heat treated for a more rat rod look.
DSC00806.jpg

EXACTLY the way I did for the seat post on my latest build. :wink:

yup same-same. I just cold bend mine.. :roll:

and if you drill a few holes in teh side of the old seatpost you can weld it through the holes so you cant see the bead .

great how to....
probably redo mine soon...just did mine today but way different...kind like your way better... :D
it needs some cleaning up...but i think this will for now

2011-01-06171015.jpg

010611203322.jpg

UTR1 said:
great how to....
probably redo mine soon...just did mine today but way different...kind like your way better... :D
it needs some cleaning up...but i think this will for now

2011-01-06171015.jpg

010611203322.jpg
I made mine the same way you did, but I used an old floor jack handle It turns out that some of the $19.99 special floor jacks handles are made of 13/16" tubing with 1/8" thick walls.
peek.jpg

Used a little bondo to make it smoother and called it done.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Marty,
If you've got the time and cash to buy parts, you could EASILY sell those here and on eBay. Sell them 'raw' or polished.
Easy funding for your build projects. :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Dr. T

Yes Dr. Tankenstein, they are available for sale custom made to what ever angle you want $15 - $20 each shipped on my website. http://www.1018kustoms.com/parts.html
But, I probably should make up a bunch when I get a little spare time and offer them in the For Sale section, would probably attract a little more attention.

scrumblero said:
I just cold bend mine.. :roll:

Yup me too, I bend 'em cold, with a 5 foot cheater bar and a hole in the ground, with shims in the seat tube, holds my 220 pounds.
rustrat002.jpg

rustrat013.jpg

Latest posts

Back