How Low will the Grey Ghost go?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
He's back...

5 more up there March 21st AM...

:lol:

(Guess not everyone is excited as I am)

wow that is cheap. my boss ordered two of them for the shop against my will. they are not very nice and dont come close. the regular stingray repop though is very nice in my opinion and fun to ride.

Purple stingray

Ya I wish he had the simple purple stingray as well :cry:

Lets see...if the old Grey Ghost is $159.95, the stingray should be about $69.95 :wink: or less!

Just a matter of time...

So...you think the basic sting-ray has a nicer fit and finish than the Ghost? Like they came out of diffrent factories in China? :?:

Man these are so cheap I'm thinkin they may be repo's of the repo's of the Grey Ghost from North Korea or something :roll: :mrgreen:

IT'S IN THE MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got a message my Grey Ghost is in the mail (UPS)...will have to see how this goes. All in was $215 US which is $249 Canadian. (SWEET!) Will see what 'extra' charges get attached...I'm prepared for some, if that's the whole cost I will be amazed/giddy.

It's going to a UPS store, by UPS ground, what could go wrong (LOL)???

Ya...if it wasn't for the shipping cost I would like to get a second for parts or to build a RAT krate from a real Chicago Schwinn frame + all the repo parts (both schwinn purests and rat bike builders shudder :mrgreen: ).

Have to see how this first shipment goes.

Now I need to lose maybe 125 lbs and shrink a foot and a half...

Re: IT'S IN THE MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RatFink said:
Now I need to lose maybe 125 lbs and shrink a foot and a half...
a couple Laps around The Red Deer Trail should do it... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

UPS Ground from the States has been good for me.
other than the Price :x :x :mrgreen:

good score...

Eh...Krates are Krates

According to someone on the Schwinn forums, who was quickly silenced by the Pacific Secret Police - these new Grey Ghosts are the worst repop yet.

I think the price and the shock factor alone would be worth going at least a little rat-crazy on one.

http://www.schwinnbike.com/heritage/sho ... coal+krate

Check out the Gay Ghost and Coal Krate

Rat Trap?

Ya so I heard...

Yes I have seen people all over the schwinn fourm talkin' crap about the grey ghost repo's...but remember in 2006 these sold for $550, I'm paying $149.95 :D

Some people have to get over Schwinn Chicago is GONE...if they wanted a bike built to the 1970 Chicago standards the would have to lay out $2000 bucks! There wasn't enough interest to pay $550 to make the project fly...tough market. All repo's are gone from the line up.

Here are some fairly good quality photo's of the bike (not mine...still waiting), looks not bad for $149.95...I spent more in the bar last weekend in Whitefish :wink:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0

I'd be curious to hear from someone from this forum what the real deal is with these. (what is SO awful about them)

For a bike you couldn't reasoanably ride any practical distance the $149 with a little worse materials isn't bad at all, I agree. You know once there gone, the prices will climb steadily anyway, so what is there to lose?

Keep us posted!

The Ghost has landed...

Well...got a call from the UPS store yesterday AM, my ghost had arrived. I was going to wait until easter weekend to set her up, but thought I best check for shipping damage and well...the socket set was right there. I must say...the bike was worth every penny of the $149.99 :lol: I like my Ghost.

The Goods:

Nice paint, cool S/A drum brakes, cool repo slick, springer much better than most low rider repos I have worked with. Took 2 hours to set up...that is going over EVERY nut and bolt, as you should. Looks cool in the living room. You can't buy these in Canada, most e-bayers will not ship up here. Now I have one.

The Bads:

I can see why Schwinn purests who laid out $550 USD might be a little 'let down' by these repo's. The fenders are worse than most repo's I have seen...thin tinny weak chrome job. Thought the front fender might be damaged in shipping, but just a weak shaping job at the factory. How did they screw up so bad on the seat? Mine was in great condition...but the shape is so wrong. Maybe so Pete seat could sell a truck load? Can't see me paying $75 + $25 shipping for a pete seat...not on a $149 bike :| . Think I might go by the low rider shop and buy a plain black banana seat that is at least shaped right...a metal pan would be nice also. The sissy bar is a little sissy for a grown adult, much less overgrown adult...might have to look for an old one from the 70's for my fat butt :oops: . Whatever happend to my big box of bike parts in dad's garage!!! (Garbage in about 1989...Dad is not a pack rat, like myself).

If these sold for $550USD in America and well, the Electra Ratfink sold for $600USD, you should be able to compare fit and finish, eh? The Electra does blow it away, plain and simple...sorry Pacific Cycle, I'm trying to be objective. I don't have any Electra tatoos.

But...at the price I paid, it fills my need for a 20" Krate in my life. To ride down the hill to my local pub...to cruze the 'red mile' and sit at starbucks. To ride around the camp ground looking for single moms. :p

It's -12 and snowing here, so after putting the bike together, after the final pumping up of the tires, I rode it up and down the hallways of the condo complex (sober mind you)...and the young girls down the hall liked my Krate :wink: Rock on 1970's flashback. 8)

P.S.

Me on my 20" Krate:

bear_bicycle.jpg

Great write up RatFink, thanks for listing both the pros & cons in an objective way. Unbiased info on the '06's is hard to come by. Based on what you describe, upgrading the parts that aren't up to par sounds fairly painless. Seems like a good deal for $150.

*Explanatory note for the U.S. members here ---> Krates are virtually nonexistant in Calgary. Myself, I've only seen three, an original PeaPicker and two '98-99's ( a Ghost and an Apple) Two of them were at Anna's, so I'm pretty sure RatFink knows the two I'm referring to. Additionally, $150 will only buy you a Wal-Mart quality bike, landing a Ghost for that price is not too shabby.

As for the seat, I'd recommend getting the 'nanner seat with extra padding, (Chaingang has 'em). I've got the standard seat for my Stingray project and it's not great, it's about as comfortable as a 2x4.

As the saying goes, "It doesn't exist without pictures" so let's see some pic's of the new arrival!

It's STILL snowing here...

-Mp

Pictures...

Yes…even though I’m an I.T. guy I have yet to embrace the realm of digital photography. Possibly spending all my money on bikes and well... beer.

I defiantly want to get up some pictures of my board tracker when finished…I have a professional (friend who thinks he is with pricey new camera) photographer lined up.

Photos will be coming. :mrgreen:

-it is still snowing!!

crap

IT'S STILL SNOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

possibly because my purple sting-ray might show up today at UPS :roll:

last Firday it was 18C (65F) ahhhhh it's wonderful living near the mountians.

Yall bring it on down to Texas....78F and sunny today. :wink:

Of course, I'll get back with yall in August (110F) and then you can gloat. :lol:

Re: crap

RatFink said:
IT'S STILL SNOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

possibly because my purple sting-ray might show up today at UPS :roll:

last Firday it was 18C (65F) ahhhhh it's wonderful living near the mountians.

Yesterday was our first nice day in about 10 years, too....
:shock:
I got mine on Wednsday and built it last nite .
Im gonna take it for a ride to drop off some vids later.
First StingRay ride since 1974! Wooo Hoooo !

Quik Review :
Definately not the Scwinn I remember. It has been 'Pacified'.
There are a few spots of large grit in the paint I have never seen
before but it really cant be seen so Im not worried about it. Overall
the paint in nice. The sissy bar is weird. Not StingRayish.
I always disassemble the wheels and BB to add grease and
although I was surprised Pacific really did have an OK
amount of a good grease on these parts, the BB had a few big
metal shavings in it .
But, for the price BikerTony was asking for them I will give it
three Rats-up !!
Professor Poindexter sez: A worthwhile expendature of extraneous fundage.....
fans.gif

While looking out the window I ponder...

Cool...glad you like it. Ya, at that price it's hard to go wrong.

I got the Grey Ghost and the Purple Sting-ray for $239.00 USD (2006 retail $870 for both :shock: ) Thanks BikeTony !!! (I've already blocked out shipping and brokerage as an evil of my E-bay problem, not my bike problem :wink: )

I've been thinkin'...after I play with them a while and become bored:

A PURPLE S/A 5-speed Krate (aka 'Grape Krate')

and

A silver one speed Sting-ray!!!

Case of beer and a few hours in the shop...I'll have to see, I'm not 100% on that project, however minor. :mrgreen: They would be somewhat more original!!!

Latest posts

Back