How Many Cad Engineers, Designers, Draftsmen Here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have noticed there seems to be a great deal of awsome CAD talent here. I had worked most of my life as a mechanic with some self taught cad skills I went back to shool a few years ago to become a certified Cad designer (A.S. at local tech school).
It would be interesting to see how many cad operators are here, what sotware they use mainly, and an illustration of a bicycle and or if it's okay with the moderators a shot of what they do at work.
To start the ball rolling I have medium level Autcad skills and beginner level skills with Inventor and Solidworks. There is only one bicycle drawing in my portfolio and it is incomplete but I'll post a jpeg of it here. I hope Uncle Stretch doesn't mind too much that it's a reverse engineered drawing of one of his frames that I started last week. The lines are fantastic and challenging to model!
render.jpg

And here is sample of the stuff I do for work. It's a water pumpstation.
pmprender.jpg

Not terribly exciting work but it keeps the bills paid.
I know that C.P. Odom and a couple of other here do great work far better than I.
Would like to see how many others are out there...

I am an industrial designer by training. I am a machinist/parts designer for a local machine shop. I use Solidworks and have done some light AutoCAD. I also do patent illustrations on the side. Here is a link to my online portfolio with some of my work. http://www.coroflot.com/danb

I do a lot of 2-D AutoCAD in connection with my work, but have never had occasion to do anything bicycle-related with it.

I hope Uncle Stretch doesn't mind too much that it's a reverse engineered drawing of one of his frames that I started last week. The lines are fantastic and challenging to model!
render.jpg

Anyone here is welcome to build, design or copy anything I have ever done. Its a pleasure to have my stuff used. :wink:

In past lives I've been a computer programmer, computer illustrator, technical writer, network administrator, database designer and am now currently doing 3d design. I've worked with Visual Basic, Adobe Illustrator and Indesign for doing drawings (instructional and patent) and manuals. I've gone as far as taking photos of jukeboxes and traced them into line art instructional steps for manuals.

I pretty much deal exclusively with sheet metal design, but have dabbled in some milled stuff. I work at a sheet metal shop where main company deals entirely with high end computer server enclosures. I work for a small company within the shop where we will make anything out of sheet metal. One of my designs is a camera lucida that has been shipped to over 20 countries now. I'm also redesigning the a bicycle display stand to start selling on the side. I'm also working on getting some chainrings designed to start punching out.

I work in Solidworks 2010 and we are soon to be updated to 2011 once our customers start upgrading. From there I take the flat patterns over into Fabriwin Metalsoft so I can generate the programs for our Trumpf punch presses.

I don't do any 3d design program. I have alot of software, but no real equipment to run it.
This post probably doesn't count and please feel free to let me know if it doesn't, but I am a digital illustrator with a fair ability to challenge the slick looks of some 3d programs, for display, concept and venture capital purposes.

This is a Street/Dirt/Park stem I designed for Toby Henderson with a patented (or patent pending), totally integrated flip flop headset, which eliminates the top frame cup.

This is Photoshop based on a pencil illustration.

I have been a CAD driver since 1998. I first learned AutoCad and quickly became disillusioned with 2D programs and moved into the 3D world.
I have been through a secession of Fortune 500 companies quickly moving to the top of my field. I have worked in National Defense, Semi Conductor, and Consumer Products fields. My career at Black & Decker as CAD Manager ended recently with all of my team being laid off in favor of overseas workers, then they had little use for their manager.

My favorite program is Pro Engineer (Pro-E) which is the biggest, most powerful, and the most stable, followed by Alias for advanced surfaces, Freeform by Sensable for the real artistic hand carved models, and Solidworks for basic 3D.

Most of my industry work cannot be shared as it is either proprietary or Top Secret. I have modeled a lot of iconic bicycle parts of which I will share the images but not the CAD models. The old bike parts are modeled to create vintage style technical artwork. Some of my work is being used this year to produce shirts, posters, and car wraps. I am currently working on releasing my own line of vintage styled bicycle components.

Vintage Masi lug set: challenge for the SW users; this cannot be created in SolidWorks, prove me wrong!
MASI-LUGS-01.jpg

Sample work for Black & Decker:
http://www.doorsbydecora.net/templates/ ... PID=570986

Project for General Atomics:
http://www.cpes.vt.edu/public/showcase/emalsears.php

Thanks. I can't do cad, but ask a cad engineer to draw this in Photoshop and see what he tells you. Lol!

Odom, Very nice stuff!

I'm going to send you a PM.

I have huge respect for top Photoshop/Illustrator users. I spent two years assigned to the Industrial Design Group at B&D. These were all graduates of Art Center in Pasadena (No 1 I.D. school in the world) and the conceptual work the turned out in Ps was amazing. On the other hand ask the Ps driver to rotate his part, opps!

Lonewolf;
Tell us more about that intriguing stem design?

OOPS!! Lol.

Yeah. You can see through to the back end though. Don't ask me to rotate or I'll spin for you in my office chair!

Lol.

c.p.odom said:
Lonewolf;
Tell us more about that intriguing stem design?

I probably already said too much, but a version of it now exists in real life and may already be in production. They handed the image over to the CNC machinist and I got zero negative feedback. He knew what to do with it.

It's a flip flop, non race stem, that even has flip flop logos so you can run it up or down. It's not the space shuttle, but it is an example of forward progress as relates to parts elimination on a bicycle.

fatkid said:
I am an industrial designer by training. I am a machinist/parts designer for a local machine shop. I use Solidworks and have done some light AutoCAD. I also do patent illustrations on the side. Here is a link to my online portfolio with some of my work. http://www.coroflot.com/danb

Excellent drawings I really enjoyed your hand drawings! Everyone should go check them out.

Check out Fatkid's link. He has an extensive portfolio with some really good work.

Post your work!
Lets turn this thread into a CAD forum.

How about some Campagnolo cranks!

Campy Sport:
CAMPY-SPRT-CRANK-01.jpg

Campy Gran Sport:
CAMPY-GRN-SPRT-CRANK-01.jpg

Campy Record:
CAMPY-RECORD-CRANK-05.jpg

Latest posts

Back