How many ride 24" bikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to how many of you ride a 24" rather than a 26". Since I'm only about 5'7, would a 24" fit me better than a 26"?

are you asking without trying a 26" out first? i'm 5' 11" and a regular 26" bike feels a little cramped. at 5' 7" i'm thinking you could ride one without having to pull the seat post way out.

Allow me to put in my .02 worth. I'm 5'10 and I can barely ride a couple of the 26" bikes I have.The Dyno Glide Deluxe I bought this past Saturday however fits me very well.On the other hand, I have a Trek 830 that is too big for me. With the seat adjusted all the way down it is still a couple of inches too tall for me. Oh well , I should be able to trade it for a couple of three speeds. 8)

Depends on the frame style and size. 5'7" is tall enough for 20" seatpost tube. Most 26" cruisers are only 18", ATB's can be as large as 22" which fits 6 footers. 24" is pretty small unless you are using a big banana and apes. Some 24" will take 26" wheels, but you may be limited to smaller tires.

I'm with thom on this. I too am 5'10" and struggle to comfortably ride on most 26" bikes even with the seat post drooped to the frame.
Using someone's overall height is deceiving. We're all built differently, some folks get their height from legs, others from their torso. My shirt tails come untucked all the time, while my pant legs drag. :oops: Too much??!?!? Sorry :D

I'm going to run 24s on my next build, but with 24x3 tires, that will lower my frame, and in turn my seat to a comfortable level, for me anyhow.

I have and ride 2 24"ers. Anybody want to make something out of that? :lol:

One is a klunker I like the feel of it under me when off the road.
The other is the bike I had as a kid and am in the process of restoring.

Now, I am about your hight and the 24 is a bit small for crusing.
These are both OLD Schwinn frames. If you are talking about modern frames of any kind I can't ride a 24" with any comfort at all.

Well, I guess I should have mentioned that I have a long torso but short legs. So the 24" should be fine. I may end up turning it into a cruiser some what like this one. It's a 1966 24" Typhoon.

100_3003.jpg

i'm 6'2" and all legs, so every free 24" mountain bike i get gets broken down for parts, leaving me with like 5 24" front rims and 5 or 6 24" rear rims... just chillin. i've always found the 24" rims unique. im just lucky if i can get any bike i don't need to go get a longer seat post for... and im not even talkin bout 24" bikes.

This will probably be a duh post, but the frame size matters more than the tire size. I plan on using 24" tires on the next bike I build, but the frame will be built to me... hopefully.

I have a couple of those, it was more a question of availability than desire. Both are Schwinn frames. I stuffed 26" wheels on one but it's a tight fit.
The other was to build a scaled up muscle bike to eliminate that "bear on a bike" look. The 24" Ray scaled out fairly well.

phantom66.jpg

kng09_021.jpg

my black wicked came with 24" wheels and i put 26" wheels onit, no prob. the bike rode great. it's torn down now and hangin out on the rafters.lol

Outlaw

This is a bike I put together for the Coasters BC 20" bike night rides. Because 20" bikes are to small for me, Im 6'2" I put together this bike. Its 24" bike, of unknown origin (no badge or visible markings when I got it) , that I put an original 26" Monark springer on and 20" wheels/tires ( the rear mag is an aftermarket replacement for spokes, made here in Wichita, Ks. back in the early 1970s), with a bent seat post with a plastic Brooks looking 3 spring seat, and exersize bike bars. Its fun to ride on occassion, its not fast, just fun. And with the seat so far back, the front wheel will float over the ground with ever pedal stroke. Maybe some day Ill put some real apes and a paint job on it.
bikes002.jpg

Back