How much to re-lace wheels??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just left my bike shop, so I don't feel like calling but what should I look at for having my wheels re-laced with new spokes, roughly? I was hoping I wouldn't need to do this, but it definitely needs it.

My LBS has quoted me a dollar per spoke in labor and a dollar per spoke for parts.

A 36 hole rim/hub combo would run $72 for labor and parts.

Typically, a buck a spoke for wheel building. You should try it yourself. It is not too hard and there is a good tutorial in the "How To" section.

My LBS does re-laces the wheel for 15 bucks each. Spokes are from pennies a piece on up. I typically buy the heavy duty stainless middle of the road and are about 26 bucks a wheel.

fwiw we charge 50 labor, this includes cutting out old spokes if necessary. spokes are prepped, elbows bent, etc. we only stock dt spokes- .70 each in wheel build quantity (2.0, silver), a buck each in onesies twosies. black and/or butted quite a bit more. some shops refuse (and i understand), but i will rebuild old rims if the customer fully grasps what they may be getting into, never used spokes though. :D

Not really what I was hoping to hear, but I guess it is what it is. Maybe I can find a replacement rather than having it re-laced.

Bendix said:
...but i will rebuild old rims if the customer fully grasps what they may be getting into, never used spokes though. :D

Can you elaborate on this???

I delaced and painted some old Schwinn S2's, serviced the hubs and bought new spokes/nipples. I was hoping to tackle the relace myself, watched the youtube tutorials, etc.
Am I in for trouble???

Tailwinds said:
Can you elaborate on this???
He probably means if you use old rims , there is a chance that over the years they have gotten bent some. If they cant be straightened back to true , then the lace job you get will be less than perfect. You can take out minor problem , but you will never have them Road Bike true.

Tailwinds said:
I was hoping to tackle the relace myself, watched the youtube tutorials, etc.
Am I in for trouble???

It's easy and kind of fun. I think everyone should try it. The hardest part is getting everything true after it is laced. A truing stand helps, but a set of forks with some taped-on popcicle sticks can be just as effective. When truing, you tighten in small increments, checking trueness as you go. First, focus on getting the wheel round (i.e., not oval) until the spokes start getting tight, then worry about fine tuning the side-to-side wobble near the end.

If there's nothing wrong with the wheels I would recommend trying it. I did it for the first time with the little 20" Schwinn I posted pictures of yesterday using tutorials from the internet. I figured I'd get it round and as true as a could and then take it in to get the trueing fine tuned. It ended up good enough that I didn't need to take it in. Give it a shot, I had fun doing it.

You could lace them up and get your LBS to do the final true up.

Shop here charges $15+ depending on the wheel.

i always get a quote close to $100 here. i have several projects dead in their tracks 'cause i never have the extra bucks to get it done and it's my achilles heel as far as bike building goes. i just can't do it.

Latest posts

Back