How NOT to restore a bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad. I would sell my left ___ for that original patina. It might even be nice as a custom to someone else but he is really confused about what is a "proffesional" restoration.

mastronaut said:
Petrohead said:
Too bad. I would sell my left ___ for that original patina. It might even be nice as a custom to someone else but he is really confused about what is a "proffesional" restoration.

Original patina is somewhat overrated if you ask me, so please don't ask me ok? :wink:

I guess that is why beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That is also why all of our bikes don't look exactly alike. I just thought in this paticular case the patina had the right color and fit the look perfectly. I love old rusty stuff. There is too much shiny stuff in the world already. My 2 cents.

man this guy is taking a beating for sure :lol:

i dont think it looks like a bad custom, i wouldnt call it professional though and i dont see how a guy could make a living off a bike like that. but i think its not a bad looking bike with some time spent on it.

but yeah, some vinyl stickers from the craft store dont make it a 1948.

CCR said:
man this guy is taking a beating for sure :lol:

i dont think it looks like a bad custom, i wouldnt call it professional though and i dont see how a guy could make a living off a bike like that. but i think its not a bad looking bike with some time spent on it.

I agree!....If this guy were a member here..We'd all be saying: Nice bike, good job. Heck, I'm afraid to post a bike that I re-painted now.

He took a worse beating on CL here in Jax. His mobile bike shop business charged 50 bucks for a quick tune up. which isn't too bad, but he spammed the bike section every day. When he ignored the warnings, others started posting their own mobile bike shops (imaginary), but kept lowering the repair prices, 5 bucks less than his. There were fans and haters posting back and forth about this guy. It was getting like a soap apera to see what would be posted the next day. Then it all stopped a month or so ago.

Here's what it really is.
http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle444.htm

I don't have a problem with what he did to the bike, I don't like it. But that's his business. The problem is he is misrepresenting the year, looks like a 1959ish..................What kind of recourse would the winning bidder have when they find out? Someone (inexperienced) is going to buy this in good faith, he's professing to be a "professional".....So any Ebayers out there know if anything can be done?

The bike doesn't look bad at all, he probably has about $200 alone in sanblasting and powdercoating it. I'd prefer it in it's original condition, but it looks alright as a custom. Now his ebay description is another story, makes absolutely no sense, horrible gramar, looks like a preschooler wrote it. My opinion: if he can't take the time to write a nice, ACCURATE paragraph about the bike, he's probably not going to take the time to correctly disassemble/package/ship the thing.

necessaryevil said:
... Now his ebay description is another story, makes absolutely no sense...

i totally agree ... i just cant blame the guy for reworking an old bike and hoping to get his back out of it is all i was trying to say before ... i think we are all guilty of that :lol:

but yeah ...
the parts about 100% orignal then goes on to say new tires, seat, grips, etc.... plus the fact that the new paint job looks nothing like before either .... you just cant have both fella :lol:

This bike would look half decent without the red and the dumb decal/stickers. I could see some poorly misguided person/sucker paying 500 for it from a bike shop.

i laughed so hard looking at that one. first obviously it is not a 48. then there is the "restored" part, ummmm no you chose a different paint style and turned it custom. Then there is the 100% original part that got me the most how is repainting a bike original? this post should be renamed "HOW NOT TO PRESENT YOUR BIKE FOR SALE ON EBAY"

Since I started this post, just wanted to make it clear that I have nothing against the guy personally, I don't know him. I just felt like "restore" is not the correct term for this and that as I have read here, "it's only original once". Yeah, I do have to agree, don't misrepresent what you are selling. We all have our ways of dealing with bikes whether it be cut and custom to restore and original. But this bike could of bought a better price to a good home in the original condition. I doesn't seem to be well thought through as far as what was done to it. Just a thought. Brian

I just noticed something. there was nothing wrong with the rims and they got painted, I wonder whats gonna happen after a year or even half a year? it's all gonna flake off and look weird. I think it looks nice like this too but I think he should of thought of a few things like the rims and headbadge. if I bought that, here in canada the weather is messed and they bike would look ugly in a few months because the paint would chip off the crome. only my two cents though lol

Rustinkerer said:
when did they make 1948 middleweight spaceliners?
I'm surprised it took 8 responses before anyone mentioned that!! :lol: And yeah, either he or a friend made those bids. The original 'before' bike wasn't worth 200, and now it's just a "hot mess"! :roll: -Adam
I knew I was forgetting something. :p :oops:

im guilty of sending the guy an ebay message,right after i posted on here! :wink: told him he had variant of a early 60`s spaceliner,made by murray,and badged as a western flyer. ive seen the lights on the tanks,on a 59 wf golden flyer! :) told him to be REAL!....never heard from him. :lol: :lol:

Pinche said:
I noticed the clear coat and powder coat part also. So it got powder coated twice or he sprayed clear coat over the powder coating? The whole description is confusing. He has over 70 hours and just restored it three days ago? Did the guy stay up for three days straight rebuilding it?

I'm not sure how he did it but they do have a clear coat powder at Eastwood that we've used before we had to do it twice but we put the clear on as some as the part came out of the oven then stuck it back in the oven for a bit to finish curing

The big question is why didn't Ebay stop him because of his contradictory description and lies about the year?
Over here they came down hard on someone selling a 'Dad's Army' board game - they said it was 'nazi memorabilia'!!!

Back