How should I gear this thing???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I just installed a bent springer fork to my Electra Rat Rod and it completely changed the dynamics of looks and ride. After doing so I quickly found that I needed to change the crank to a 6" rather than the 7" stock because of sparking pedals. :shock: I know find that it's not as easy to pedal as it requires more work than before. My gearing currently is a 44t sprocket and a 22t cog. I contemplated going to a 23t cog or forking out the dough for a 3 speed hub setup (if it would fit between the drop outs). I'm hoping that with some of your experiences you might be able to offer some helpful advise. Thanks.

Mark
PB230001.jpg

PB230005.jpg

PB230006.jpg

PB230007.jpg

PB230010.jpg

Start haunting your goodwill stores and craigslist. Find a girls bike with a 36-hole Shimano 3-speed coaster. I have found many after looking for a while. Shimanos are no wider than a standard hub and are super easy to adjust. You should get a shifter and everything for about $20 - $30 for the whole bike. You might even want to buy a 36 tooth front chainwheel. They are on ebay for $9 all the time.

The older Shimano freewheeling 3-spd, also 5-spd der. type hubs will fit, but you will need to hook up a brake. The coaster brake 3-spds are usually wider, measure your dropout spacing before you go hunting. :|

I'd find a cool looking front chainring for a childrens bicycle. The smaller front chainring should help you correct your gear ratio, since finding a larger rear cog might be tough.

I would think a 44/22 setup would still be easy to pedal, even with the shorter cranks. If you ride every day, you'll get used to it. A good excuse to get away everyday.

Nevertheless, I'll agree with SSG, a sprocket off most children's bikes will fit right on your crankset. 40 teeth would put you back where you were, or a little easier to pedal. The largest rear cog I've seen is 22 teeth, although you might be able to order one from a bike shop.

Thanks guys... great info. I would like to find the 3 speed hub mentioned above but trying to find one on craigs is not easy. I will continue to look and until I find one I'll probably have the LBS order the larger cog. I know that there is a 23t cog out there, I just have to special order it. I think going with that will make a difference. I did however tear the whole crank assembly apart today and discovered that the cup on the sprocket side was cracked and looked pretty bad as did the bearings. After replacing the cups and bearings on both sides the pedalling got much easier though not as easy as stock. I guess I'll have to live up to my nick name "LEG BURNER". :lol:

36/22. you can find this size in older 20" juvinile bikes or what i sometimes do is seperate a tripple chainring of an old mountain bike by either unbolting them or drilling out the stamping or rivits that hold the 3 together and i instantly get 3 seperate chainrings. don't know if you'll find cool chainring paterns like your 44t in the 38 to 32tooth range (as i call it, compact drive) and if thats too low, go down in size with the rear to a 20 or 19t. slight changes on the rear cog change things more than the similar changes to the front. good luck!

Back