How to dismantle a springer fork?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scored an old Columbia cruiser and I want to dismantle the springer fork for de-rust and pant. I searched the board but could not find any info on how to do this. I have the fork off, just not sure how to release the spring.

Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Dan

Fork is off the bike.....I just need to know how to release the spring and all it's parts.

There is no cotter pin. There is a cup on the top that is semi flat on each side (see last pic above). I was thinking that might be a nut but it was more like a cup. I suppose I could get a wrench on it....

hey guy, I have this same bike and fork - building a boardtracker with a tomos engine with it. this springer works by pulling on the spring instead of compressing, very unique, so I do advise looking into finding a replacement if it is as pitted as it looks. On either end of the spring on the inside are two threaded bushing/bolts. the heads are simply two flats. they unscrew lefty loosy. one is pinned to the guide rod that runs inside the spring as well. and the other works as the nut. this rod also extends to the upper mount and has an acorn nut (3/8?)retaining this. remove it first I guess. anyways if you've removed the fork the other end of this mount went under your upper neck nut.
If you need I'll send a pic of the individual bushing/bolts when i get to a camera at work. but they simply thread into the spring itsself, so the spring is the nut.
Im a cnc machinist and am drawing up a billet version of this fork assy.

Latest posts

Back