How to lengthen the shift cable on a Nexus 3 speed rear

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a new Firmstrong Chief bike - which comes with a single speed rear end on it. I've ridden it a couple of times since putting it together and I love the laid back riding position, so I think it will become my main bike.

So I'm thinking about swapping the Nexus 3 speed read end that's on my Caloi cruiser to the Chief but the Chief has a much longer frame and some wide wrap around handlebars compared to the standard cruiser frame and cruiser bars on the Caloi. So I'm sure it will take a much longer shift cable to get it to work and to reach the correct spot on the handlebars.

I wondered if anyone had any tips on what's required to lengthen the cable on a Nexus. Do they take any special connections at either end? Are longer cables even available?

I really haven't looked at it in any great detail yet and I thought I would get some input before I tried to switch things out.

So if you've switched cables on a Nexus or put a longer cable on one, let me know what was involved or what I need to do on it. Thanks. RRD

I assume the Nexus is like any other shifter and the shifter end of the cable will have a special nub (don't know what it's called) on it. The other (hub) end of the cable has nothing on it. You should just need to purchase another shifter cable that is long enough.

Thanks, Randy. I guess I just need to pull that back part apart and see what the cable looks like at that end.

Maybe is has some type of fairly standard connection but it goes into that bell crank piece on the side of the axle and you can't see what's inside there just looking at it.

The end at the twist shifter is probably fairly standard.

So I guess I will just pull it apart when I get a chance and see what gives.

I got busy and pulled the back shifter on my Nexus 3 speed apart to see how the cable hooked up at that end.

From the top you really can't tell how the cable attaches to the shifter or how any of it works. But once you take it off and take off a little plastic cover on the botton side you then see the shift arm and the cable.

So it's just a straight cable on that end - which I was happy to find out.

Here's some pictures.

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

I think I have a set from WalMart, so I will check that out.

The main problem is that the cable needs to be quite a bit longer than the housing - since it goes into the twist shifter and wraps around inside of it.

I will see what I have and then worst case I can hit the LBS and see what they have. I know they can make me up the housing to whatever length I need.

Korporal, your idea of getting one that would be for a tandem is a good one. That should be plenty long. I will keep that in mind.

Markm, you were right on. I found my WalMart "bike fix" set of cables and checked them out and one of the shifter cables that was included was extra long.

I swapped that one out for the stock one I had on there and now I have plenty of cable for turning the handlebars in either direction.

I even cut about 6 inches off of the housing - which shows you how long the thing was to begin with.

So that worked out great and now my Chief is good to go.

Thanks for reminding me to check that out.

It rides nice. I had a 39t sprocket on my Caloi - to lower the gearing some, but I kept the stock 44t sprocket that came on the Chief when I did the swap and the gearing seems fine on this one.

The rear drop outs were exactly wide enough for the Nexus too, so that worked out great and I didn't have to stretch them at all.

I checked out your review before I ordered my Chief, by the way.

I made the mistake of sitting on a Trek at the LBS with the crank forward frame design and that got me hooked. So I began checking out what type of cheaper bikes were out there with a similar crank forward frame design and that's when I ran across some ads for the Chief - and also a link to your blog.

About the only other thing I want to do to mine is to find a black sprocket for it. When I looked at my pictures of the bike on the Gallery post here on the forum that's when I realized a nice design black sprocket would really help the looks.

I have one that came off of a BMX bike, but I think it's made for a 3/32" chain and I'm not sure if that will cause a problem with the 1/8" chain that's on the Chief. Once I figure out if it will work okay I will probably make the swap. Or otherwise I will keep my eyes open for a nice black one that works with a 1/8" chain.

The fenders look good on the bike, but I understand about them being an issue.

Maybe you can get another set and just paint the flames on them - but not cut them out.

I guess the cut out ones are what you put on there when you put it in a show. :D

Then you pull them off and put some stocks ones back on for the ride home!

Back