how to paint wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those skinny little Drinking Straws work well..
Run a slip up them the length of the straw.
Pop em on the spoke, and run a quick piece of tape over the slit..and a piece tacked at the top of the straw( at the Hub end ) so it doesn't slide up
...and badda bing..badda boom

very quick.

The worst part about just taping them off isn't all the taping work..
It's the removal, and that's where the Skinny Straws are great,

hope this helped,
Kev.

thanks kev that is going to be a great help, i really love this site you guys have made me feel welcome

Nathan thats what were all about, Helping each other make SWEET BIKES!!! And.. Stuff.. yeah...............

straws and tape are a good one.. we use tinfoil on lines, cables and such before we paint wing wells on the planes.

Upper Class White Trash said:
straws and tape are a good one.. we use tinfoil on lines, cables and such before we paint wing wells on the planes.

another great idea..
you can just wrap and squeeze the Foil on the surface!
very cool...thanks for adding that tip,

i'll use that one for sure!

peace,
Kev.

What kind of paint do you guys think is the best as far as durability? I'm just worried about it flaking when I put the tire on.

base/ clear auto paint by far will look the best but is lacking in durability. any spray bomb enamel should do you right. it will do you even better if you have or know someone that can bake it in a booth for you.

now with that being said todays base/clears can have additives put in them to make them softer (bumper covers) so the paint don't spider web when a rock hits them or harder to make them less likely to chip when bumped into.

it's all about the $$$$$$ you wanna spend.
good spray bomb 3+bucks a can

base/clear w/additives 50 bucks give or take if you can spray it yourself

it's all going to chip if hit hard enough but if applied right they both should look good for a long time

base/clear i sprayed on a jesse tank
tankpicsresized.gif

i'm not nice with anything and it is held up with all my abuse

sorry didn't post the other thing. plastic "spoons" for putting tire back on or some masking tape around rim. so you don't chip the rim.

spoons are tool name they are used to work tire on and off. for those that didn't know

prepping for painting rims

I'm getting ready to prime and paint a pair of chrome rims. Does anyone have a tip for prep? Should I go over the areas to be painted with sandpaper to rough things up? If so, what grade sandpaper will give me good results for the best paint adhesion?

Back