How to remove chain links?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its a newbie question but, how do I remove links in a bike chain? I know I need a chain tool to be 'proper' but I wondering if anyone knew another method without buying the tool. I don't really want to spend 10-15 on something I'll use once.
Thanks!

walmart sells chain tools for 2 or 3 bucks... they dont last long, maybe 20 uses or so, but the price is right and easy to use. The way they work is the chain lays in a kind of saddle and theres a T bolt that you tighten on one of the link pins. It forces it out a little at a time with each turn. DO NOT REMOVE THE PIN ALL THE WAY!!! Get it out just enough to split the chain. Even if you have to turn it a little-then check it- then turn it a little... This way you can reuse if needed. Its really easier than it sounds.Find a donor chain to practice on if needed. I like to put a master link in mine when I re-install.

I just BREAK the chain appart with channel locks and vice-grips.

A replacement 'master link' is cheap.

A whole new chain is cheaper than I thought.

If you dont want to buy a chain tool you can use a hammer and nail and just hit the pin until it is nearly out....... but not all the way because you cant get the pin back in so easy!!!!

would be easyer to use a link remover though!!

Latest posts

Back