How to remove decals under clear?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help on removing some decals that are on my bike under the clear coat. Does anybody have any tips that are easy? I'm getting ready for paint but I need to remove these decals first.

I was going to sand it down to lay down a black primer/Red-Brown Primer then Matte Sea Foam Green. So I dont want the sticker lines to show up on the paint. I'm going to be painting it and then sanding it to give it that aged/weathered/rusty look. RIght now its metallic blue with flame decals.

Ok I have some paint stripper at home. Once I strip off all the paint do I need to use a certain primer?

any primer for bare metal will work, just pick a color you like. also, make sure you scrub the heck outa it with a scotchbrite pad and lots of water to get all the stripper residue off first.

scrumblero said:
any primer for bare metal will work, just pick a color you like. also, make sure you scrub the heck outa it with a scotchbrite pad and lots of water to get all the stripper residue off first.

After I strip it, I just clean it with water? So Clean it with water, dry, and then spray primer on it?

Yup

CAUTION-Dont mix paint brands

Use the same paint brand as your primer.

Some paints dont work and play well with each other...like laquer over enamel for example.

I prefer Rustoleum

If you plan to paint anyway .. just sand down to the bear metal ....

Most decals used contain solvents ... in a lot of cases these will eat through your paint ... only way to reduce the risk of this happening is to remove the decal and paint under it .

Latest posts

Back