How to tell if a schwinn frame is a "balloon tire"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres this frame from a 1952 panther that i may be interested in buying, but i dont know how to tell if it originally had fat tires, so id know if i could put some fat tires on it. i have the serial number, but i dont know if that would help. b45332. it has a straight bar, under the top tube, if that helps to distinguish the frame. thanks.

Re: How to tell if a schwinn frame is a "balloon tire&a

theboywonder916 said:
Theres this frame from a 1952 panther that i may be interested in buying, but i dont know how to tell if it originally had fat tires, so id know if i could put some fat tires on it. i have the serial number, but i dont know if that would help. b45332. it has a straight bar, under the top tube, if that helps to distinguish the frame. thanks.
It probably is if it's a flat-bar cruiser.
I recently picked one up. http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1243
Do live in the city of Sacramento?

here is a picture. obviously i cant tell what it is.
8b94_1_b.jpg

Yes i live in Sacramento.

To determine for sure, measure the width between the rear upper legs at the fender brace behind the seatpost. A heavyweight should have a measurement of 3", a middleweight would be 2 1/2".

theboywonder916 said:
here is a picture. obviously i cant tell what it is.
8b94_1_b.jpg

Yes i live in Sacramento.
Nice bike, better paint than mine (mine has rust not paint, but still nice paint on yours).
That's at least 4 Sacramento people on here now.

I believe that would be a Balloon tire/heavyweight Schwinn. The serial # dates it as such:

1952 03/04 to 03/31 ------- B33999 ------------------ B78697 (this info is is from http://www.bunchobikes.com/serialnumber4.htm)

Middleweights were introduced in 1954.

Heavyweights were equipped with 26x2.125 tires on S-2 rims & middleweights were equipped with 26x1 3/4 tires on an S-7 rim. Even though both tire sizes listed are 26", they DO NOT interchange. Schwinn tire sizing is a world of it's own.

Both frame styles will accept a 26x2.125 tire. Hooch has some experience fitting 24x3's into the straightbar style of frame, so it can be done. (maybe he'll re-post the details here)

Hope this helps

-Mp

Back