How, Where to Start

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeking some guidance on my first bike build. It’s for my 10 year old son. His current ride is an older 20” Mongoose 7 speed mountain bike (Walmart I think). He rides on the sidewalk and street so the off road capabilities really aren’t necessary.

His laundry list of “neat” stuff he has mentioned over time:
Multi gear
No knobby tires – smoother tread
Colored accessories – he likes red
- Tires
- Pedals
- Stem
- Handle bars
- Seat
- Crank set
Suspension of some sort maybe springer or chopper front? (MTN bike suspensions are “cool” so I’m told)
Lights – lots of lights

I happened to pick up a couple frames from Nashbar. Both are Schwinns from the Select Series. I’m not sure if either would be useable for him - he's 4' 6" as of a few hours ago.

The first one is a Schwinn Alloy DX Frame, http://www.brightspoke.com/b/2009/schwinn/alloy-dx.html
DXframe.jpg

The second a Schwinn Collegiate 7 “comfort tuned geometry” which has a cool tank-like frame, http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...el=Collegiate Coasting&Type=bike#.UHOp-65Dn-J
collegiateframe.jpg

I’m not sure if these are a good place to start, or if I should be looking for a smaller frame from the get go. There are so many variables and choices, but I want to make sure I get the basics right. Details we can change easily. I’m really new to all this, so any input on getting started would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Wes

My 9 year old is 4'8" and rides bikes with 24" wheels. He has a newer Specialized and an old Schwinn Fleet. He just rode my wife's 15"(frame) 26" wheeled bike for the first time with the seat slammed down.

Your son may have a hard time with those 26" wheeled frames as they are probably 17-18" frames.

When my youngest son did his restoration, we would sit down and write out his ideas & design, go to the store and look at all the paint colors available and look around online to find the different parts & pieces that he liked. We had a blast doing it. I was fun to watch the creative wheels in his head turning and best of all, we spent a lot of time together! That's always 8) 8)

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I was a bit concerned about the size of the frames. I had a thought that the "comfort geometry" might be shorter for his legs - but I suspect the reach to the handlebars would be too far then wouldn't it?
I'm attempting to cull info on his wants to surprise him on Christmas. I'm thinking of getting the majority of the parts and presenting a "kit of parts" that we can then put together. At least that is/was the plan. We've been browsing the internet and the local bike stores discussing what's cool and what's lame.
The 24" size sounds promising, but I haven't come across many bikes in this size. Is it a rarer size than 20"? Also, are the colored tires and wheels available in 24"?
Like I said, I'm new to all this so please pardon my ignorance.

Wes

Thanks for the input. I'll look into the sizing issue and keep my eyes open for 24" bikes.

Wes

For whatever it's worth, I've built a couple bikes with the alloy frame. It's tall, relatively speaking. Parked next to a middleweight Schwinn cantilever frame bike, it's quite noticeable. I'm 5'6", and the standover is only just passable. For someone a foot shorter, I wouldn't recommend it, unless he has disproportately long legs.

Latest posts

Back