how wide of tire?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am disassembling a hi-quality older Mongoose MTB, and have a pair of aluminum 26"wheels. They have 26 X 1.95 tires on them. I am relacing a 3 speed hub on the rear, and am wondering if I can fit a 2.50 tire on them. They look narrow, compared to a steel wheel, but to wear a 1.95 , I guess they are the same. I want to mount these on a Phat Chopper I will be building soon.Love to even put a 3" wide tire on. Whatdoyathink? :wink:

That will fit fine on the rim. Some older Mongoose MTB's came with Pro Class rims or Araya 7x's. If so you could flip them for some coin.

Clancy, they are Supersonic ProSport rims, and they only measure 1"Outside. That a thin wheel. But they will look awesome on a black bike

Al,
While they're not 26s, OUTLAW is running OCC Sting-Ray tires on his 'STREET DIGGER' build. For comparison, they are 20 x 4 1/4 tires on 2" wide rims. CRAZY!
009-1.jpg

I'm running 26 x 2.35s on these narrow MTB rims. Not at home to measure their width, but no problems so far with the combo.
DSCF2543.jpg

Can't wait to see the pics of your bike!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Nice,DR.T. The frame is just being shipped this week, and I am having a major operation next week, so its gonna be awhile before I can get back in the garage. Late February, I imagine. Cant go back to work til March. I will take pics when I can. Thanks.

Geeze dude! Good luck with your procedure, I'll put a good word in for ya with my crew 'upstairs'!

At least there's football to watch while you recover... :wink:

Godspeed, check back in when you can.

Cheers,
Dr. T

thanks,Doc. Last nite I found another old rusty wheel,26" that I was going to mount to the Mongoose,trying not to dismantle this nice bike. The wheels were 26X2.1 knobbies. The 26x1.95 were too small to fit. Confusing. I have read all about the differences, but I am wondering what happens when I buy a 26X2.5, or a 3.o. They might not fit the aluminum wheel. I may have to stick with a 26X1.95, hoping I can get that in a whitewall and street tread. Or abort the whole idea of the alum. wheels. Now Im confused.......

KJV said:
i've put 3" tires on 1.75 rims with no problems. :mrgreen:

+1
I have done it as well with no problems. My problem comes with clearance on the frame! :lol:

I.95s were "too small to fit"?, by that I assume you mean the bead dia. is too small to go onto that old 26" rim. Maybe the old (or just some) balloon tire rims were enough different? Does sound peculiar...... :?

nah, I was corn-fused. The 26X 1 3/8 didnt fit the 26 X 1.95 wheels. LOL Im old...... I am gonna try a set of 3'ers at a localshop that stocks them. If they dont fit, and I dont expect them to, I'll just go with the 2.125's. I was at Bicycle Heaven today, and met the owner. man, the inventory they have is staggering.... Good prices for walkins,too.

I used to have a Mongoose atb and had no problem putting anything from 1.5 to 2.4 tires on the rims. I had to trim the tread on one side of the 2.4 to keep it from rubbing the chain stay. You may or may not have the clearance, as there were more than one model/version. :|

Latest posts

Back