How would you guys do it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I would like to get some advice and suggestions from you guys. What I am trying to accomplish is this, I am building my first...rat rod bike :roll:. I have grafted the rear section, seat tube and bottom bracket from a Schwinn OCC chopper bike to the front section of a typical beach cruiser along with the chopper forks from a 16" Schwinn OCC. My main objective was to create a little stretched bobber. I also was going to use the front and rear tires from the OCC bike. When I proceeded to mock up the bike, I just wasn't feeling it. I then decided to use a Fatty-O 24 x 3 in the rear and a 24 X 1.75 in the front. I will be making my own dropouts to stretch the profile a bit but the rear hub axle on the stock OCC rim is about 228.6 mm from end to end. What I have seen is that most rear axle hubs range from 135 mm to 175 mm, or am I wrong. I know that I will have to fabricate some sort of spacer but how would you guys tackle using a 24 x 2.175 rim for the 24 x 3 tire and having a rear axle hub to use on this rim so it reaches the HUGE distance between dropouts. Can I just purchase threaded rod and cut it to length and use it as an axle hub? I hope the picture I have attempted to paint is somewhat clear. Thanks in advance foe ANY suggestions.

since you gotta extend the dropouts get a 24" in there, just make em so they are the right width where the hub sits... :roll:

Just set the inside width of the rear dropouts to the over lock nut width of the rear hub. No big deal. A little brute force will fix anything.
Do not use a generic threaded for a hub axle (even if you could find the right dia. and thread). The threaded rods are not hardened enough for that use.

well if you are using the stock occ stingray they use a goofy huge wide hub so anything more normal will be far more narrow. typically coaster hubs are around 120mm wide 135 is more like modern geared hubs. however a nexus 3 is 127, and the 7 and 8 are anywhere between that and up to 135.

Latest posts

Back