Howdy from San Diego

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I've been lurking for several years and I am constantly impressed with this community. There is no end to the goodness in you guys building and helping each other; really a top drawer community.

I've got a couple beach cruisers, but nothing too cool to speak of. But I've been chasing a dream as of late, and the recent MBBO has got me thinking about it more and more.

I have no idea what bike it was. My dad bought it used from the neighbor in Belleville, IL back in '77 or '78. It was a purple fleck 1 spd coaster brake with Daytonas/Hangers and a black banana seat with gold stripes. I imagine it was a 20 inch deal, but I can't really say for sure. It was what I learned to ride on, but with most things we have at that age, I can't remember much about measurements, etc. or what the rear tire looked like compared to the front one. I do remember popping a wheelie on it and the front wheel coming off. That was tearful.

Anyway, I thought I'd give it a go and try to build some sort of adult sized interpretation of what I can still see in my mind's eye, however cloudy and mis-perceived that is...

So, I thought I'd start with a 26 inch cruiser and build up from there. I'm 6'5" and 250 lbs, so I clearly can't rock a 'real' muscle bike, and even a regular sized cruiser frame can feel pretty cramped, although more modern approaches to the cruiser geometry seem to be a little easier, i.e. Electra cruisers. I've been on the lookout here in SD via CL trying to find something like that to start with.

Keep up the good work, all.

Will

Welcome to the fam. Funny, my wife is from Bellville. I'll ask her if she remembers a guy riding a wheelie for a split second without the front wheel. Haha.
I like the sound of a 26" banana seat bike too. I think if I could find a full size nanner seat, I'd go for it too. I had a yellow Ross musclebike as my first bike when i was a kid. I wanted a Schwinn, but dad said they were " too expensive". He was right!
Anyways, enough of me ramblin, welcome aboard, get ta buildin! We want pics!

Frank

Welcome to the board Will.. San Diego native myself via Imperial Beach area.. Look forward to seeing you bringing your childhood dream bike to life.. I have to say you have a bunch a great guy's and gal's here to help and get great ideas from..

Richard

Welcome to the fam. Funny, my wife is from Bellville. I'll ask her if she remembers a guy riding a wheelie for a split second without the front wheel. Haha.
I like the sound of a 26" banana seat bike too. I think if I could find a full size nanner seat, I'd go for it too. I had a yellow Ross musclebike as my first bike when i was a kid. I wanted a Schwinn, but dad said they were " too expensive". He was right!
Anyways, enough of me ramblin, welcome aboard, get ta buildin! We want pics!

Frank

Ha! It really is a small world, isn't it? I don't think I've ever come across anyone from Belleville before. My dad was career military, so we moved in '79 (he was stationed at Scott, we got PCS'd to Norton in SoCal) when he made light Col. I actually did the uni-wheelie in Redlands, CA! So, if your better half saw someone do that trick, it wasn't me but some other poor kid!

I've got an 18 inch seat coming in the mail, and I'm hoping it will work with whatever starter bike I can find on CL. I understand that the frame geometry, especially seat tube angle, will really make a difference. Since I'm tall, I think that a more extreme/backwards angled seat tube will work in two ways:

1. More room for my getaway sticks (legs)
2. Better chance of sissy bar pointing the right way!

Frank, that Ross sounds awesome. I understand what your dad was saying about a Schwinn being too pricey. With two little ones of my own I am trying to figure ways around that myself. I was able to score a used Electra pink cruiser in 16 inch which has got a lot of use as a balance bike...

Welcome to the board Will.. San Diego native myself via Imperial Beach area.. Look forward to seeing you bringing your childhood dream bike to life.. I have to say you have a bunch a great guy's and gal's here to help and get great ideas from..

Richard

Thanks, Richard. I appreciate the warm welcome.

I'm in Rancho Penasquitos right now...not anywhere near as used-bike-flush as the IB/Chula Vista areas, I'm afraid. I'm really looking forward to building this bike, and any and all help or comments are welcome.

Most people I talk to at work and at home don't seem to geek quite as hard as I do on stuff, so it is great to be able to communicate with like-minded folks.

Thanks again,

Will

Welcome aboard! Love the sound of your build plan, love adult sized muscle bikes!

Luke.
Thanks very much, Luke. I love watching your build threads!

I should be getting some parts in the mail today, so I might be able to get some pics and start a build thread soon.
Depending on what sort of carcase I can get my hands on (the donor bike...) the initial phase will most likely be bolt-on and easily done, I'm hoping. I imagine a single speed coaster brake cruiser with rigid fork, banana seat and sissy bar, and hangers.
Again, that really depends on the carcase I can get for cheap on CL or something like that! Maybe I wind up with a springer fork in good shape!

Thanks again, Luke.

Will

Last edited:
Ha! It really is a small world, isn't it? I don't think I've ever come across anyone from Belleville before. My dad was career military, so we moved in '79 (he was stationed at Scott, we got PCS'd to Norton in SoCal) when he made light Col. I actually did the uni-wheelie in Redlands, CA! So, if your better half saw someone do that trick, it wasn't me but some other poor kid!

I've got an 18 inch seat coming in the mail, and I'm hoping it will work with whatever starter bike I can find on CL. I understand that the frame geometry, especially seat tube angle, will really make a difference. Since I'm tall, I think that a more extreme/backwards angled seat tube will work in two ways:

1. More room for my getaway sticks (legs)
2. Better chance of sissy bar pointing the right way!

Frank, that Ross sounds awesome. I understand what your dad was saying about a Schwinn being too pricey. With two little ones of my own I am trying to figure ways around that myself. I was able to score a used Electra pink cruiser in 16 inch which has got a lot of use as a balance bike...

Oh, so you've practically grown roots in Socal. I'm originally from Blythe. I know, you probably stopped there for gas once haha. You practically have to. Used to drive a truck hauling produce from there into the L.A. market and then pickup Budweiser in Northridge and back to Blythe.

Good call on the balance bike too, my little man was rocking it before he was two. Such a great way to learn for the kids. Biggest challenge was learning to pedal since he never had a trike or training wheels.
You got me motivated on this 26" cruiser thang. I fit my Schwinn Speedster with a 20" nanna seat and just couldn't make it work, even with the 7 seatpost. I found one that's 26" long on eBay that should do the trick. Thinking velour in red or black. Here is a pic of my Speedster pre ape hangers with the Stingray nanna.
2014-05-10 12.55.42.jpg

Frank, I bet there's a ton of Blythians that were happy to get that Bud! Great story on the hauling, that's good stuff!

I was in SoCal from '79 to '84, then it was off to Turkey and a host of other places before I came back in '90. Lived in Santa Barbara til '94. Moved down to SD then, and never left (got married to a local). I guess SD is as much a home as any place I've lived, definitely been here the longest.

I will wax poetic on the virtues of the balance bike to anyone that will listen...I remember being frustrated moving from training wheels to no training wheels, and I remember the frustration my dad had trying to get me to learn how to pedal. And that was in Belleville, where its about as flat as any part of Kansas I've ever driven through! I've seen both my girls use the balance bike and I swear by it. Learning to ride should be fun, not frustrating. So I tip my hat to whoever first took the cranks out the bottom bracket of a little bike and let their little one learn balance. Good stuff. And once they learn to balance, it seems like the pedaling comes pretty darned quick. I guess training wheels are really teaching false confidence whereas balance bikes teach real confidence. Something like that.

I love that Speedster. It's a real beauty. I absolutely love the utilitarian, minimalistic aesthetic you got there. It's got ape hangers now? I'd be scared to ride that, though, without a wheelie bar! I'd be afraid I'd flip over. Of course, I'm sure you've checked the tightness of the front wheel, right?!

You going to put the 26 inch seat on the Speedster? I would love to see that. Or, whatever you put it on! Also, you sure it's a 26 inch seat and not a seat for a 26 inch bike? I've been looking around and it looks like some people may not be so sure what it is they are selling! I guess either way it should work, though, right?

Last edited:
Frank, I bet there's a ton of Blythians that were happy to get that Bud! Great story on the hauling, that's good stuff!

I was in SoCal from '79 to '84, then it was off to Turkey and a host of other places before I came back in '90. Lived in Santa Barbara til '94. Moved down to SD then, and never left (got married to a local). I guess SD is as much a home as any place I've lived, definitely been here the longest.

I will wax poetic on the virtues of the balance bike to anyone that will listen...I remember being frustrated moving from training wheels to no training wheels, and I remember the frustration my dad had trying to get me to learn how to pedal. And that was in Belleville, where its about as flat as any part of Kansas I've ever driven through! I've seen both my girls use the balance bike and I swear by it. Learning to ride should be fun, not frustrating. So I tip my hat to whoever first took the cranks out the bottom bracket of a little bike and let their little one learn balance. Good stuff. And once they learn to balance, it seems like the pedaling comes pretty darned quick. I guess training wheels are really teaching false confidence whereas balance bikes teach real confidence. Something like that.

I love that Speedster. It's a real beauty. I absolutely love the utilitarian, minimalistic aesthetic you got there. It's got ape hangers now? I'd be scared to ride that, though, without a wheelie bar! I'd be afraid I'd flip over. Of course, I'm sure you've checked the tightness of the front wheel, right?!

I was a military brat too. Born on George Air Force Base in Victorville. I graduated in '84, Marines 87-91. Kinda funny, I seen the world before I had ever been East of Phoenix.

Here is a link to my Speedster, all nuts and bolts properly torqued :)
I love this bike, as it has worn many hats and I'm still scheming. It reminds me of that skinny Mexican kid who could kick everyone's butt in high school. Saved it from its agonizing death as yard art.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...ikes-post-pics-here.33856/page-20#post-815346

Wow, Frank. I lived in Apple Valley for a year, actually lived in base housing on George while my dad was stationed there, while I got ready to go to UC Santa Barbara. Definitely understand about seeing the world before your own country, ha!

You got a real nice Speedster there, Frank. Thanks for the link. You're sure right about it being able to wear a lot of hats, and it wears each one pretty darned well. Though in my high school (NYC) that kid was more short than skinny and more Italian than Mexican!

If you don't mind telling me, what was the problem you ran into with the banana seat on her?

w.

Ahh,
Wow, Frank. I lived in Apple Valley for a year, actually lived in base housing on George while my dad was stationed there, while I got ready to go to UC Santa Barbara. Definitely understand about seeing the world before your own country, ha!

You got a real nice Speedster there, Frank. Thanks for the link. You're sure right about it being able to wear a lot of hats, and it wears each one pretty darned well. Though in my high school (NYC) that kid was more short than skinny and more Italian than Mexican!

If you don't mind telling me, what was the problem you ran into with the banana seat on her?

w.

I couldn't slam it because of the 7 seat post. I wanted a little lower position and you can't see from that angle, but the sissy bars were almost leaning forward. Minor stuff, but that's me.

Okay, I got it regarding your troubles with the Speedster...

Here's a shot of the current bullpen :)
IMG_0705.JPG

Nothing classic at all, but some darned good riders, the lot. Aside from my Tall Cruiser 1's back tire, apparently. How the heck did that happen. Full of air when I stabled her, completely flat in the morning. Must have picked something up just before I got home, I guess.

I got a few parts last night and since I was already wrenching on it for the tube swap, I threw them on my Tall Cruiser 1 to see what they might look like on something with longer geometry.

Before:
IMG_0701.JPG

and after some teeth gnashing with that stupid shim:
IMG_0706.JPG

I couldn't stop laughing while riding it up and down the street, but the geometry is all wrong. Unlike Frank's awesome Speedster, I can't get the seat to be high enough; even with the longer stance of this bike I was really cramped in the legs, and the bars need to swing back a little more.

I suppose I should start a build thread soon; I am scouring the area to find a budget-oriented frame to start with, but no luck so far. I guess SD really likes their cruisers because I can't seem to find a donor for anything reasonable.

Okay, now see the little blue Giant cruiser in the first picture? My seven year old asked if she could order some parts for it. She asked for 'ape swingers' and a banana seat. Starting to think of a jungle themed build...

My littlest, almost four, wants a red bike, and I'm thinking about that little pink Electra...The paint on that little bike is so pretty, though, a pink fleck with great detailing, and the scratches are making it look really well loved, so I don't know if I should mess with it....but the gears are turning!

Thanks for looking,

Will

Last edited:
Welcome Will! I'm career military as well (Navy) up in CenCal. I'm also into muscle bikes and doing my second MBBO. I'm 6'4", so needed an adult muscle bike, so built my own interpretation of a Manta Ray.

ifql.jpg

Get into the build off! Nothing like a lot of suppport and a little bit of pressure to push you along!

Welcome Will! I'm career military as well (Navy) up in CenCal. I'm also into muscle bikes and doing my second MBBO. I'm 6'4", so needed an adult muscle bike, so built my own interpretation of a Manta Ray.

ifql.jpg

Get into the build off! Nothing like a lot of suppport and a little bit of pressure to push you along!
Yes Will, +1 on joining the build-off. I had no idea or intentions for BONINE, it's good fun and you end up with a cool bike out of the deal. Good times fo sho! Nice Monster Ray Crash, WOW!

ifql.jpg

Heck yeah, Crash. That is one sweet ride! 20 inch wheels? I'd be proud to have built that one.

Yes Will, +1 on joining the build-off. I had no idea or intentions for BONINE, it's good fun and you end up with a cool bike out of the deal. Good times fo sho! Nice Monster Ray Crash, WOW!

I'm going to look through the rules and see what I'd need to do and by when. I still don't have a frame or wheelset, and paint, and, oh lots of excuses to not do my best, I guess, huh?

I have to admit, the bar is pretty high with so many wonderful builds!

Will

Alright, it looks like what I am considering doing would fall neatly into a Class 1 build, and I certainly think I would meet the criteria for entry.
January 1, 2015 seems like a long way away, doesn't it?

I'll try to post later today, maybe this weekend, in the build thread and introduce my idea.

Thanks, guys, for giving me a little push!

Will

Heck yeah, Crash. That is one sweet ride! 20 inch wheels? I'd be proud to have built that one.
26" wheels. The seat in that picture was set pretty high, so it makes the bike look small. I called it a Monster Ray because no 26" muscle bike was ever manufactured.

Like I said, I'm 6'4". I look like a bear in the circus when I try to ride a 20" bike.

26" wheels. The seat in that picture was set pretty high, so it makes the bike look small. I called it a Monster Ray because no 26" muscle bike was ever manufactured.

Like I said, I'm 6'4". I look like a bear in the circus when I try to ride a 20" bike.

I was hoping you'd say that. I'm 6'5" and I am a circus bear, too.
Did you have to fabricate the sissy bar?

Back