Howling Hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a beach cruiser just for the wheels and tires only to find out that the rear hub(coaster brake) when just coasting, howls like a cat in heat. The brake works great and pedals like normal. What could be the problem. Just a note; the bike I bought was only a few months old and like new and woman owned, not abused. Heres the victim.
Bikes118.jpg
And heres what they went on.
Bikes124.jpg

I'll bet the bearings need lubed. It may never have been done at the factory. Or there may be a burr on one of the internal parts making contact.

Most new coaster hubs have a brake release spring that sometimes causes a funky noise. If moving the pedal slightly stops the noise that may be the deal. If so, it's not really a problem, but it should actually work OK without it.

I've seen some cheaper ones that howl until you pedal backwards a little. Not enough to stop just in between. I've tried to rebuild the hubs but have had no success. I think it's a fluke in the machining.

Probably wont help any, cause it didnt on mine...

Mine howled a bit (hummed more i guess), I rebuilt it and it stopped. Then summer came, it got hot, and it started again. I think it's just these low end coaster brakes we have today.

I think if you over haul it once a month you"ll be fine :wink:

Latest posts

Back