hub and rim

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think so,as long as the hub and rim are the same hole number (28,36,48...) I mix and match hubs and rims all the time, the hardest part is getting the spoke length right.

chimichanga said:
how about the thickness of the spoke? is it a standard size?

There are different thicknesses of spokes. I think you could probably tell if the spoke is the right fit or not. I have heard of people using washers if the rim hole is too large and drilling out hub holes to make a larger spoke fit.

Yes, sort of. I normaly use spoke 13g (2,4mm) and drill out the rim holes to 5mm if necessary. Drilling of hub holes can be done, if the flange is wide enough. Theoretically you could drill extra holes in the rim and/or hub as well, but I have no personal experiance with that. I bought an old 28x1-1/2 (635) rim by mistake, thought it had 36 holes but halfway lacing it I found out it has 32 holes. Now I'm looking for a 32 hole hub, OR one with 16 holes, and then drill holes in between the existing ones.
But be careful if it is a front wheel: You tend to weaken the hub (and/or rim), if anything goes wrong you could break your neck...
necessaryevil: Spoke length, try this:
http://www.geocities.com/spokeanwheel/index.html
I just measure a similar wheel, and make a guess. works good enough for me.

Back