hub options for an OCC Sting-Ray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm currently researching rear hub options for a build I'm doing on an OCC Sting-Ray.

With the hills in my area, the stock single speed just won't cut it and I'm not a big fan of V-brakes, so it's out. Also,if the plan for the design works out, the build will warrant something more. So......I ask you, my RRB brethern, for your advice.

Staying true to my frugal nature (a.k.a. I'm cheap), I've been sourcing parts for the build as inexpensively as possible, freeing up funds towards the purchase of the best solution.

The plan is to have either a disc or drum brake up front, so to keep symetry on the hubs, I would like a similar setup in the rear.

Before I bore you any more, the ULTIMATE solution would be a black Shimano Alfine SG-S501
product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+bikecomponents+SG+SG-S501-L_600x450_v1_m56577569830709645_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.gif

The overlock on this unit is 187mm, which I believe would be wide enough for chain clearance and since it has disc brake mounting already.....I hope it will work.

Now, knowing NOTHING about wheel building, I ask, will this work? It's available in 36 hole, so I'm good there (just typing out loud as I convince myself to start stashing cash for this baby). With the 'small parts kit' and a rapid fire shifter, I'm looking at $300+, then I'd still need to buy the disc brake parts, get custom heavy duty spokes, get the wheel laced, I'm seriously thinking it may push $500 for the rear wheel/tire!

So, advice???

Thanks and Cheers,
Dr. T

That is an expensive setup. Plus the Axle is 187mm. I bet the OLD is 135mm.

Why not try and find one of the 3spd Sturmey's that came on some of them?

Good luck Doc! Thoose are awesome hubs. I have a Nexus 7 on my Dahon Mu folding bike and love it. I haven't laced a wheel since I was 14 and laced a new rim on my 3 speed Sears Screamer 2. Looking forward to seeing your build.

I think the 3 speed OCCs are VERY rare, and 3 speeds may not be enough for some hills.

Here's the spec sheet from Shimano's site:
http://www.shimano.com/publish/cont...0/alfine/product.-code-SG-S501-L.-type-..html

I just noticed something, they list the Axle Length as 135mm and the Over Locknut as 187mm, I'd say thats a typo, right? The axle can't be shorter than the OLD, right?

As far as the 'factory' 3-speed, I'm not gonna try to find one of those, BUT Sturmey Archer makes the SX-RK3 hub with disc brake rotor mount, ChoppersUS sells them for $180 (out of stock). They claim they will work on a 100mm rim, MAYBE that will work.

Cheers,
Dr. T

hope i'm not messing up someone watching it and trying to keep it secret, but ithink there's an occ 3sp wheel on ebay right now. or at least i noticed one a day or so back. seemed like a pretty good deal (i think about $79 when i was looking at it), but i just have rocks in my pockets right now.

Philphine said:
hope i'm not messing up someone watching it and trying to keep it secret, but ithink there's an occ 3sp wheel on ebay right now. or at least i noticed one a day or so back. seemed like a pretty good deal (i think about $79 when i was looking at it), but i just have rocks in my pockets right now.
It sold for $232 yesterday.

DOH!

I'm kinda leaning towards the SA 3 speed. I can always get the hub shell painted/powdercoated black. Plus, it helps make the decision on brakes. Never had discs, always wanted to try them, so..... :roll:

Also, I have no idea who made the stock OCC 3 speed unit. SA is one of the best, great history as a reliable manufacturer, would hate to put a High Stop made hub on this bike. :mrgreen:

I'll let you know what happens...in the meantime, if anyone hears of a 170 mm OLD multi-speed hub with either a drum brake or mounts for a disc, let me know.

Cheers,
Dr. T

IT'S ALL HILLS WHERE I LIVE TOO. BUT I LUV SHOOTIN THRU INNERSECTIONS ON MY TRECK. THE PART THAT SUCKS IS GOIN UP. I'VE GOT THE BIGGEST LEGS IN TOWN. I HOPE WHAT EVER U GOT INMIND WORKS. I WANNA SEE PICS WHEN IT'S DONE. THE OCC BIKE IS ONE OF MY FAVES.

I put an Sturmey 8-speed XRD8 on mine. I had to narrow the rear dropouts to about 140mm, and make them parallel, but otherwise, it worked like a charm. Needs a ridiculously small chainring, though, I've got a 28T on it now.

For the money, you're not going to find an IGH hub with that kind of range for that little money. If you know its limitations going into it, it's an excellent hub for half the price of a Shimano.

102_1543.JPG

i nearly got the sturmey 8sp for my tandem project, but i kept reading that the front sprocket had to be really small, and to keep my tandem working like i planned i had to stay with a 52t. somebody was selling them pretty cheap on ebay. i submitted a best offer, then found out about needing the small sprocket. i'm glad now they didn't accept it.

Your bike has been one of my inspirations for this project from the beginning! Unfortunately, my plan is to keep the OCC rim, so i need a WIDE hub. BUT it's great info to know a 24 x 3 tire will fit in that frame! hmmmm...... :mrgreen:

FunkyStickman said:
I put an Sturmey 8-speed XRD8 on mine. I had to narrow the rear dropouts to about 140mm, and make them parallel, but otherwise, it worked like a charm. Needs a ridiculously small chainring, though, I've got a 28T on it now.

For the money, you're not going to find an IGH hub with that kind of range for that little money. If you know its limitations going into it, it's an excellent hub for half the price of a Shimano.

102_1543.JPG

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I'm kinda leaning towards the SA 3 speed. I can always get the hub shell painted/powdercoated black. Plus, it helps make the decision on brakes. Never had discs, always wanted to try them, so..... :roll:

Also, I have no idea who made the stock OCC 3 speed unit. SA is one of the best, great history as a reliable manufacturer, would hate to put a High Stop made hub on this bike. :mrgreen:

I'll let you know what happens...in the meantime, if anyone hears of a 170 mm OLD multi-speed hub with either a drum brake or mounts for a disc, let me know.

Cheers,
Dr. T
The stock, OCC 3-speed wheel I have is equiped with an S/A hub. It is threaded on the left side, so it will need to have one of those disc rotor adapters. I bought my wheel off "the 'Bay" several years ago. A complete bike for $250-300 might be the way to go. ChoppersUS havd some of the S/A hubs for sale a month or two ago, but they sold-out in an hour or two (at least it seems like they did)!

I have disc brakes on my Spoiler and I LOVE them!

For any other hub, I think that you need to be concerned about the distance between the flanges! Two narrow between the flanges might compromise the strength of the wheel. :wink:

Fireproof said:
For any other hub, I think that you need to be concerned about the distance between the flanges! Two narrow between the flanges might compromise the strength of the wheel. :wink:

Thanks for the info, I never thought about how a narrower hub would weaken the wheel!

P.S. I contacted ChopperUS, Alan put me on the waiting list for the SA 3-speed. I think the 3 will work, besides the number 3 keeps popping up on this build and holds a special meaning for me anyway.

Cheers,
Dr. T

If you want to keep the 4" rim, you definitely only have a few options. It would be possible to put a mid-drive idler/jackshaft in the frame, but that might be more work than it's worth. The SA wide 3-speed would work great, and on a cruiser, should be enough gear.

Oh, and thanks for the props! I've changed the bike up a little, converting it to a single speed and changed the seat and seatpost. I'll have to post a few pics of it, I actually made a layback seatpost out of an old steel MTB bar-end on top of a straight post! It's ugly, but it works great.

Back