Hubcap Puck Tail Light

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a single hub cap, the type that appears on 1960's Flightliners and others. I was just going to mount it like a rear reflector until I figured I could mount one of those stick-up "puck" utility lights inside of it. The photos pretty much tell the story. Pushing the center reflector turns it on. Press again and it turns off.

P1050378.jpg

P1050380.jpg

P1050381.jpg

P1050382.jpg

P1050383.jpg

P1050384.jpg

P1050389.jpg

P1050387.jpg

These puck lights are also about the right size to stick inside the front of a classic teardrop style bike headlight. I just bought 4 headlight shells for $2.50 each at a local bike swap (where I got the single hubcap).

I had a puck light (unadorned) mounted to the front of my 3-speed bike and it casts a VERY respectable light at night. Enough light to see road conditions in front of you (we have some hazardous potholes in my 'hood).

Just in case the assembly isn't obvious from the photos:

(1) Bust the retaining clips off the back of the hubcap & free the red lens

(2) Epoxy the red hubcap lens to the center of the puck light lens

(3) Attach the puck light to the back of the hubcap (I used multiple pieces of foam tape)

(4) Twist the battery cover off the back and pop-rivet a bracket to it (I used a hardware store "L" bracket)

(5) Mount to bicycle

(6) Tap the lens for "on". Tap the lens for "off".

(7) To replace the batteries, gently twist the light and it will separate from the rear cover.

gcrank1 said:
Only possible downside I can think of is that road vibes might make it come undone while riding?
I hate that empty feeling when I discover bits have escaped............
A little piece of scotch tape would probably insure against the back unlocking.

Back