Hubless Trike Build Ideas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I want to get ideas from the group about how is build my dream machine.
I saw a Hubless motorcycle on the movie "Men In Black 3" And I wantted one, but minus the motor.
After veiwing several videos on Youtube and the like I have desided Id like to build a Trike version as I think with 2 frunt steer wheels I will cure the hamstering effect that agent "J" found so troubling in the movie, (And I figure it would become a real pain when trying to stop up quickly)
I also would like to use a rowwing style drive system if possible as my health could realy use the help.
As soon as I figure out how to post pictures on here I will post my design scketchs so you all can have a better idea of what I have in mind so far. Till then any ideas on a drive design would be greatted with much appriciation. ( also If you havent caught it yet I have more than just physical handy caps. I appolagize for my spelling or lack there of)

Sounds like a great plan, and I am really looking forward to seeing it happen!

As far as building it, what skills and equipment do you have?
For instance will you be designing a trike that can be made from old bicycle parts and assembled from them with basic tools, or do you have access to a lathe, a mill and a welder, or somewhere in between?

Only reason I am asking is so that we wont make suggestions that are hard to achieve without paying out lots of $$$'s for fabrication... ;)

Looking forward to seeing the sketches.

Luke.

From what I remember in an article about a hubless motorcycle back in the 80's, the biggest challenge in this build is gonna be paying for the bearings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I have limited knowledge of welding I am currently trying my hand at fiberglass and carbon fiber, I have skills in many art and construction tech. I havent built a bike sense
I was a kid and that was half a centry ago.

As for Bearings I was planing on useing the idea that they use with the hubless wheel bikes from the olympics. I will build a outer wheel with a hard tire, and then build a inner wheel that will have the power, seat, and other stuff on it. Up frunt I plan for 2 small wheels of the shelf (diameter to be desided on later ounce we know more about the drive train and the like) I saw a trike on youtube that had every thing I want except for the hubless wheel ( it was a row style with 2 wheels forward and 1 back its frunt end even folded for easy storage, and it had electrical motor back up to the rowing) I offered to buy that but could never get a straight answer as to were they sell them and all the online shops claim they sell rowing style trikes but that useualy means hand pedals not rowing arm or 1 wheel forward and I realy dont like that design as it seems it would be realy easy to tip over in a hard curve.

From what I remember in an article about a hubless motorcycle back in the 80's, the biggest challenge in this build is gonna be paying for the bearings

This. There's a YouTube video if you haven't seen it already of Billy Lane the motorcycle builder explaining how the hubless wheel works. He mentions that the bearings cost him 10k:eek:

for a bicycle , you don't have as much torque and speed and weight as a motorcycle , so you don't need to pay big bucks for One huge bearing , "take a look at my hubless wheel thread" you can use multiple skateboard bearings that can be bought in a big lot for relatively cheap (not puchased as skateboard bearing) i am interested to see a preview of your project , sound interesting

Back