Hubs poping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a recent issue with my hub recently, J.C. Higgings skip-tooth. The chain was very loose for a while and once I fixed it, when I hit the brakes, the hub pops..... what is it and how can I fix it?? Has riding it with a very loose chain killed the hub??

fresh grease recently? Lots of time, problems arise after ya rebuild a hub. Goes away after all the grease gets in the right places, and away from where it shouldn't be.

You will probably find cones pitted and ball bearings fried. Way past time for the tear down.

I know it doesn't make sense but coat everything with grease, including the brake shoes.

R

that's what I do on every hub. And I live at the bottom of a hill.LOL Usually the brakes work well after riding on the brakes all the way downhill..Good luck!

Yeah, what Al said. You can search for a donor bike or hub and those will be just as worn out.

But I've been following a new thread on cone regrinding on the igh list. Arrons repair in Seattle can resurface them if they aren't deformed. $8 per.

from their site: (scroll down a bunch to see the drill & dremel method.)
http://www.rideyourbike.com/specialtyservices.shtml

rick

Google for diagrams of your hub to see who manufactured it, and once you've got an line on EXACTLY what you need give Memory Lane a call. NOS coaster brake innards show up regularly on Ebay as well. But you have to know what you're ordering. :wink:

Back