Huffman build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a prewar bike from Mike S. in the first pic I've already replaced the tires and the seat, came with a juvenile seat.

ratrodstart.jpg

Visited karfer at College Cyclery and got a bunch of goodies. Mocked up the triple tree front end (needs to come down still), slapped on an old brooks saddle I had that needs work to see how it looked. Got some old style red tires I'm thinking of putting on it as well (in the foreground).

ratrodmockup1.jpg

and here is the seat that will go on it. maybe if i get the old one fixed it will go back on it, we'll see.

newseat2.jpg

Re: pre war cleveland build

Cool ride! Though I think they didn't use that sprocket til the late 40s... I know they continued making those frames w/the prewar style dropouts til '54ish.. Not that it detracts from anything, I'm just sayin'.. :) ~Adam

just wondering where and when you got that fork...ive been looking for another so i can get rosemarys(2's)front end done!
i know college used to carry them but no longer do :cry:

Rustinkerer said:
Cool ride! Though I think they didn't use that sprocket til the late 40s... I know they continued making those frames w/the prewar style dropouts til '54ish.. Not that it detracts from anything, I'm just sayin'.. :) ~Adam

Good to know. OK, it's the old, but not sure how old, cleveland build now 8)

sensor said:
just wondering where and when you got that fork...ive been looking for another so i can get rosemarys(2's)front end done!
i know college used to carry them but no longer do :cry:

Just bought it from adam at college a couple days ago actually.

Re: cleveland build

MikeS said:
Hey AJ that procket and crank set didn't come with the bike. I put it on. It had a later schwinn set up when I got it.I'm pretty sure that frame is prewar.....

eh, I'm not worried about it. I like the frame, doesn't really matter when it was made.

Nice Vintage piece .... Your rite , you like it and thats all that matters,

As I understand it Cleveland bought surplus & extra stuff from many of the manufactures of the time for their bikes.
not uncomon to find schwinn , wald ect. ect . on their stuff. some one correct me here if im wrong.

Dose the bike have any serial numbers on the bottom bracket ??
Are you gona paint it ????
Is the front end gona stay that long or are ya gona bob it a few inches ???

I have a bike pretty much just like it .... Rear drop outs ... 2 bar ... I think its a schwinn ... mid 40's , origanal rear pick up springer, Apes , lucky seven seat post with a Brooks track seat w/ springs ...Honey ....Sweetheart w/skiptooth .... 24x3.00 thick brick white whalls ...some sort of 40's vintage wheels w/1inch nipples .... GONA LEAVE IT RUSTY 4 NOW LOL.

Waiting 4 chain so I can go ride this Old Bad Boy ...OOOps getting off thread here

Mr. Zoso nice old bike ya got there. I Like it to . Hope to see it in person some day.

Best wishes & Have a great day,

Stephen / Wingman

mastershake916 said:
zoso said:
mastershake916 said:
Are those matching Gillette Super Tractions?

uh, what are those?
A kind of tire, I have one on the back of my build-off bike.
Yours has the same tread pattern, but might not be the same brand.

Woohoo 900th post!

Gotcha. nope they are new tawainese or similar tires.

Hi,

Just so you know…

The sprocket is Cleveland Welding postwar (approx. 1947 +) but the frame is a Huffman (Huffman-Dayton, Huffy) postwar frame not a Cleveland Welding frame. If you are interested, the serial number should give you the exact year of the frame. 37Fleetwood has a Huffman serial number list on the CABE.

I think that is a particularly good looking frame, I'm piecing together a hotrod on the same frame with a Dial-A-Ride springer front end.

Phil

That is a huffman for sure. I have the same frame that I was doing as a buildoff project and have never got to finish. Heres some pictures
bbo2002.jpg

bbo2006.jpg

bbo2005.jpg

bbo2004.jpg

olschbp said:
and I see that it is up for sale on Craigslist? http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/1036241755.html

yup, while it's likely the coolest of my bikes it's also the least functional and least used. Trying to raise some funds for a fixed gear. I have the cycle truck for a commuter/rat rod now. Commute is a flat 2 miles and I like having a basket because I ship stuff to work instead of the house.

Back