Huffy board track now done *pic heavy*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
I've always wanted to build a motorized board track bike and now I finally completed mine. I started with a womans Huffy moutain bike that I got off of craigslist for 5 dollars and then proceeded with the surgery...I bought the 80cc motor kit off of ebay. The only thing thats the original Huffy parts are both the rear stays, seat stays, seat tube, BB, and head tube. Everything else I fabricated, modified used bike parts and had my friend, Mark, help me weld them up. The paint is all rattle canned and I used sand paper, steel wool and a wire brush to scuff it all up. Thanks again for all your inspirations and great bikes on this site! Click on the images to enlarge

The donor bike

Took all the parts off and stripping the paint

Cutting the top tube off

Cutting templates for the new top tubes and gas tank

Got the top tubes welded on and made my seat

Parts to make the front fork stay assembly

Eyeing up the motor

Tank all welded and grinded up

Rattle can painting the wheels and tank

Tank all done

Made a template for the new downtube and rough idea of how the motor might sit

Bending the new downtube

Made the choke assembly out of a ruler

In Minnesota, motorized bikes are considered mopeds so there has to be a license plate on it. So I mounted my on the rear folding kickstand.

You only see the plate when the kickstand is up.

Well, except for some minor adjustments, I can't wait to get the motor broken in and see how fast it will go!

Thanks, Kevin

Re: Huffy gets a sex change

from a pink girl's bike to that... amazing.

Amazing what a little cutting, welding and adding a tube or two can do for the appearance of a bike. HILL BILLY has a beautiful motorized board track bike, after seeing his I HAD TO HAVE ONE! Click here to check it out. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14042&p=141073#p141073

Looks awesome!

1002729.jpg

Thanks for the comments! Yea Quanah, Hill Billy's work is purely amazing. I love how he can make a new bike look like its been raced for years then thrown in the back of a barn for another few years. His work is an art.

Looks great,but is that motor gonna fit without redoing the bottom bar? Not alot of room with a v frame gets away from ya in a hurry,hope it fits frame looks sweet like that. Please keep us posted on build pics

Yea insomniashotrods, I gotta cut and bend the downtube for the motor to fit. I measured about two inches too short with the top tubes...opps. I like on the originals how the down tube curves around the motor. So I'm gonna attempt that look. The original moutain bike had 26" wheels on it. I think the frame is roughly a 18" or 19" frame.

Does anyone have any suggestions on better throttle and clutch levers? The ones that come in the cheap China made kits are ok, but not that great...It would be great to find a throttle control like Russell Mitchell uses on his bikes, http://www.exilecycles.com
Thanks

That throttle would be trick but at 200 bucks count me out lol. Did you get any pics of the tank yet? How hard was it to make? Sorry to hear about the downtube not working but bikes gonna be sick when complete. Got a color picked yet?

hey insomniacshotrods, I found an old grip shift in at a used bike shop. I just dremeled out a larger slot for the throttle cable to go, then put cork tape around for the handle

what gauge did you make the tank out of? any detail on the tank would be awesome........sweet bike!

KFitzke said:
Yea insomniashotrods, I gotta cut and bend the downtube for the motor to fit. I measured about two inches too short with the top tubes...opps. I like on the originals how the down tube curves around the motor. So I'm gonna attempt that look. The original moutain bike had 26" wheels on it. I think the frame is roughly a 18" or 19" frame.

Does anyone have any suggestions on better throttle and clutch levers? The ones that come in the cheap China made kits are ok, but not that great...It would be great to find a throttle control like Russell Mitchell uses on his bikes, http://www.exilecycles.com
Thanks

For a throttle I just used a mini bike twist throttle, and mated it to an old bike grip. And for a clutch lever I just used an old bike brake lever.

Latest posts

Back