Huffy Boardtarck Bike / Seatpost Hack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple of photos of my updated bike. It's a Huffy Mission Bay cruiser from around the turn of the (this :mrgreen: ) century. I'm guessing it's what later became the Cranbrook.

Here's how it sat a couple years ago:

11jt8xz.jpg

And here's what I did yesterday:

dsc01363.jpg

Notice the seatpost attachment. The layback was something I bent a more than a year ago, and it's held up nicely. Yesterday I used some ubolts and a piece of 1/2" X 1" steel channel from Tractor Supply:

dsc01368.jpg

I will post video of me riding it later.

i applaud you for the get er done style. although i would worry about the seat post turning side to side but if it works more power to you my friend

I've been on the bike as much as I can for the last couple of days, and it hasn't turned on me at all. It also hasn't slipped. I'm quite shocked that it is holding as good as it is. I want to use this product:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/487352/killark_racc100_right_angle_conduit_clamp?s=1
but I wanted to test out riding so low first. I'm probably going to go ahead and order those clamps. There's no doubt in my mind that they'll hold. I have used them at work and they can take a lot of tightening without stripping the threads.

Now, about riding so low:

I took the bike on a couple of quick 1 mile trips around town today. The bike feels incredibly fast even though its geared so low that I couldn't possibly have been going faster than about 12 MPH. And I scraped my pedals a few times taking corners, I guess that's from the CG being so much lower.

My only other thought is "what is this efficiency thing I keep hearing about?!" :?

But all I need this bike for is tooling around the neighborhood with the kiddos, so cool and fun is more important to me than fast and efficient.

Latest posts

Back