Huffy Good Vibrations rear sprocket question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's the stock wheel, he's full of something, and it's not good info. :roll: (easily changed, need to add a little chain) I'm a little surprised you don't know that. :?

I swapped out a sprocket on a coaster hub once, it was just kept in place by a snap ring. Not sure if that's the style you have, but it is easy to do. Did you find a 22 tooth sprocket yet?

I'm gonna pick up the wheel from the LBS today and see what the guy says about it.

I didn't thing it'd be a big deal either to swap it out. I've never broke down a rear hub before which is why I went to the LBS. This is just a ridfer for my GF. I wanna slap it together and forget about it.

I'll post later on wehat the guy says about it....

Spin

I don't recall seeing any snap-ring cogs bigger than 20t, although they may well be out there. The largest currently in my possession is 19t, but the difference of 1 or 2 teeth in back is pretty significant. I recommend you see if he can give you a 20t, or consider a smaller front ring, they're much easier to find. :|

You might luck out if the new sprocket is made to fit a newer standard, or if you or someone you know has a Moto-tool, you might be able to grind it out a little. Good luck.

Well, many thanks to texasbigjon for providing the link to purchase the 22T sprocket. It actually fit!

Spin

2015rat0001-20.jpg

".. what kind of coaster hub is that, a Hi-Stop?..."

Sorry. No clue. :shock:

I'll say one thing tho. This bike rides so nice now, I'm thinking of getting another one in a mens version and swapping out the rear gear, and use it as a beater bike to take shoppping and not have to worry about it getting ripped off like my Higgy.

Spin

People will steal anything but they might not put alot of effort into cutting the chain on a cheap looking bike. I think you have a good plan.

Latest posts

Back